Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Tutorial Tuesday - pinking noses

It's Tuesday so that means it's time for some tutorials. The first comes from Laura Skillern. Thank you, Laura!

How to Pink Noses

by Laura Skillern

I just about finished this guy, and I thought y’all would appreciate a quick mini tutorial on nose pinking!
I’m an airbrush artist, but I was never happy when I airbrushed my models' noses. They didn’t have that squishy, peach fuzzy look of the real thing. And I can’t airbrush accurately enough to add a healthy pinking on a white face marking without getting it everywhere. I tried hand painting the pink, but I don’t have the patience to make it work [insert Tim Gunn here].

But I tried pastelling once, while bored on vacation. I HATED how slow it was and threw those monsters into the corner of my studio when I got home, never to be touched again.

Until, one fateful night…

Eventually, I got brave enough to start using pastels over my nearly finished airbrushed models. I also found Pan Pastels, which cover much quicker than the other brand I started with. They aren’t a great choice for covering an entire model in an even color, but I like them in small areas I want to finish quickly.
The actual tutorial part:

Step 1) Paint your white markings. I do these by hand with Golden Titanium White and a little bit of Liquitex Unbleached Titanium for shading.
Step 2) Seal your model. I use Testors dullcoat or whatever they’re calling it now.
Step 3) With a small round brush, liberally cover your horse’s snoot with pink-ish colored pastel.
Step 4) With a wet angle brush or a make-up sponge or kneadable eraser (or whatever works), wipe off the excess pink pastel that goes beyond your white marking. It might be barely noticeable on your first layer or two, but it will build up if you don’t remove it with every layer.
Step 5) Lightly—LIGHTLY—seal with dullcoat. It should just be a slight mist of sealer. Let it dry for a second, then mist again. Heavy coats of sealer can muck up your pastels.
Step 6, 7, and 8) Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary. Three layers usually about does it for me.
I started this guy with a larger brush to cover the entire nose, but I switched to a smaller brush as the color built up. The last layer or two, I only added color inside the lips and nostrils to shade. More so on bigger models, I also use white to shade highlighted areas and blend it with the pinkish color, and maybe a darker red-brown color mixed in to fill a big open nostril.

And now you’ve got a pink, kissable nose! Tack up and enjoy!
Laura's Carrick turned Mustang is one of long term projects she's finishing up during NaMoPaiMo. He's not quite finished, but hopefully he'll be done and up for sale by the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment