Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bareback jumping, not puissance

I learned to ride at Eaton Canyon Riding Club in Pasadena, California.  ECRC in the early 1980's was a slightly rundown but still thriving public boarding stable.  It had an active lesson program, and several times a year the trainers organized schooling shows for boarders and students.  I loved those shows.
Because I didn't have my own horse, I had to borrow a school horse.  Usually this meant I only got to ride in a class or two.  That was better than nothing, of course, but I longed to be one of the kids who rode in every single class.

Finally, in June 1983, I got my chance.  I was taking care of Cinnamon that year, and I couldn't resist entering her in every single possible class at the early summer schooling show. One of those classes was Bareback Jumping, an event for which neither of us was prepared.   I'd like to say that we surprised every one with a clear round, but that was not the case.  In fact, I think this might have been the only jump we negotiated safely before calling it quits!
And that is the closest I will probably ever get to Bareback Puissance!

P.S.  Today is my birthday!

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    Did my email with the progress pics make it through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday. Hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy, happy, happy birthday m'dear friend! Many pony, rat and puppy hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!

    BTW - did that one class read "X-Rated"? I know what they were going for... but still.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best birthday wishes also from Germany and unbroken joy with your family, pets and our beloved horses in real and model size! Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. *takes a deep breath* Happy Birthday to you! Happy Britday to you! Happy birthday to Je-en, Happy Birthday to you!!

    I do have a little something for you, I will email it through when I get it done, which will be after the weekend unfortunately as I'm going away tomorrow.

    Hope you had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! :D
    Did you get anything horse shaped?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday!! I hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, hope you had a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, everyone! I *did* have a good birthday. Quiet but good.

    And since Last Alliance asked... I did get something horse shaped in the mail yesterday! Technically it was not a birthday present, but hey! An Eberl resin arrived on my birthday. That's a birthday pony of sorts!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to you!! Have a great day!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! It's my brothers Birthday too all the way over here in cold Scotland!!
    Nice position over the jump especially with no saddle. I noticed in the other post about bare back riding that all the horses had their ears forward not always the case when they have their saddle on!
    Hope you have a nice Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH BLAST... I am SO sorry! I totally meant to wish you a happy birthday and I obviously was derelict. Hope you had a great day!

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided in a hurry that maybe bareback jumping was not her forte. :-) I was mounted on a pillow-soft 15.1 pinto mare but we only made it over one or two 2' (maybe they were even x-rails) fences before I called it quits. Saddles were invented for a reason, y'know! :-)

    ReplyDelete