Thursday, February 2, 2017

Throwback Thursday, NaMoPaiMo style

I put the first coat of oil paints on my medallion, and guess what? It doesn't look like Carol Williams painted it.
This is not surprising, but it's still kind of disappointing. I have to remind myself, that the only way to paint better is to actually paint.
Today's post is proof that practice really does make perfect. Check out this amazing before...
chestnut pinto by Jennifer Scott, mid 1990's
and after by one of my favorite painters, Jennifer Scott.
chestnut pinto by Jennifer Scott, 2016 (customizing by Cindy Evans)
Here's another 1990's era piece, by another Jennifer, Jennifer Kroll.
Finishwork by Jennifer Kroll
And some of her more recent work. What a difference!
Finishwork by Jennifer Kroll
In a post on the NaMoPaiMo Facebook page, DeeAnn Kjelshus recounts the difficulty of being a new and underfunded artist: Here are a few of my customs from way back when. The one on the right was done in acrylics with masking medium for the pinto markings, and the one on the left in oils. I remember the frustration I had with brush strokes. Back then I had really poor quality brushes as that's all I could afford. My paints were hand me downs, and I was thrilled to have.
Finishwork by DeeAnn Kjelshus
What a difference time, practice and better tools make! Here are some of DeeAnn's more recent pieces. 
Finishwork by DeeAnn Kjelshus
Michelle Belisle used oils to paint this horse in the 1980's.
Finishwork by Michelle Belisle
Here's a picture of her current work. Again, what a difference! 
Finishwork by Michelle Belisle
This was Isaac Brushett's fourth custom.
Finishwork by Isaac Brushett
He's come a long way, too! 
Finishwork by Isaac Brushett
How do you get from here...
Finishwork by Lynette Sayers
to here?
Finishwork by Lynette Sayers
Jessica Greer knows the secret.
Finishwork by Jessica Geer
All it takes is "a few years and tons of hours of practice."
Finishwork by Jessica Geer
Christina Riley expands on this idea. She writes: Funny you mention this. I just recently came across an old thread with my first realistic custom. I was seeking help (boy were the other artists patient with me!) and I kept complaining how small it was so I couldn't get it to work. Yet now, here I am...specializing in highly detailed micros! Here is my very first "realistic" custom lol! I believe this was 2011.
Finishwork by Christina Riley, in progress
After the help from other artists, this is where it ended up--proof that listening to critiques and taking advice works!
Finishwork by Christina Riley
Here's an example of Christina's current work.
Finishwork by Christina Riley
Of course it's not just finishwork that impoves with practice. Sculpting does, too. Maggie Bennett shared these pictures of  a micro mini she created in 2003. Like so many of the befores, he's pretty cute.
Sculpture and finishwork by Maggie Bennett
Still, he's nothing like Maggie's current work in that scale. These little horses are incredible!
Sculpture and finishwork by Maggie Bennett
Thank to all the artists who shared photos for this post. You inspire me to keep on keeping on!

5 comments:

  1. Just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting,just keep painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your medallion looks great! Next layer you can work on accentuating the highlight & shading for the depth you want.
    I always love seeing how far everyone's skill has come over the years. Thank you for posting those!
    My NaMoPaiMo day two was a success: http://carissakirksey.weebly.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really right!
    The only way to learn something - Is to do something. Perhaps for many many many years.
    Most people forget this.

    Keep on painting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete