Sunday, July 13, 2014

Memphis in the meantime

About a year ago, my friend, Carol, enlisted in the Air Force Reserves.  Since then, most of her military obligations have been fulfilled within the state of Colorado.  Recently, however, the Air Force sent her to Biloxi, Mississippi for six weeks of intensive training.  Her daughter Cara, accompanied her on the trip out east, and I was tapped for the return drive home.

Everything about this plan appealed to me.  I love road trips, and after six weeks, I couldn't wait to see Carol again.  Plus, I got to go to Memphis.  Talk about win/win/win!  
After so many weeks of planning and anticipation, I flew to Memphis on Monday.  Unlike my last airport experience, the flight was on time and extremely pleasant.
I was met at the airport by my friends, Ron and Marjorie.  We went out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, then headed to Marjorie's house for more visiting.
I was then delivered to this Memphis high rise, where my former roommate, Debbie lives.
She'd arranged for me to have my own little efficiency apartment for the two nights I'd be in town. 
The view from the ninth floor was impressive...
and the room number seemed wonderfully appropriate!
I spent all of Tuesday with Debbie... 
visiting some of my favorite old haunts... 
and eating everything that wasn't nailed down!
This is me on the banks of the Mississippi River... 
and here's the house where Seth and I lived when we were first married.
We also drove out east to Germantown... 
to visit my former place of employment.
The shop had moved to a new space, and I didn't know anyone working there, so the nostalgia factor was pretty low...
at least until I saw "my" old mobile shop parked outside.
Now this brings back the memories!
Generally speaking, I prefer photos to souvenirs, but I was extremely tempted by this little jump.  If it had been true traditional scale or less than fifty dollars, I would have brought it home with me.
The highlight of our day was a visit to Ron's farm in nearby Byhalia, Mississippi, but that's a topic for another post!
I moved to Memphis for a horse related job, but ironically, this was the least horsey destination of the entire road trip.  In fact, the only real horses I saw in Tennessee were a couple of carriage horses downtown. 
Despite that omission, I really enjoyed revisiting the city that was my home for seven years. As Carol and I were leaving Wednesday morning, we stopped for one more round of photos. 
Then we got back in the car and drove over the bridge to Arkansas. 
Goodbye, Memphis...
and thanks for the memories!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful , Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice trip. I'm glad you had a good time and had a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to here the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you worked at Judy's! We see them a lot at Brownland and other big shows. The trip sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen realistic jumps at stores, only custom or online!
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dover carries these jumps as well, but not with the Judy's logo. They are a little off scale, which is too bad, because otherwise they are quite attractive.

      Delete