Thursday, July 3, 2014

Experimenting

As much as I like showing with dolls, I don't actually like paying for dolls.  I am a model horse collector, not a model person collector.  It pains me to spend precious hobby funds on toy people.

Because of this, my dolls are often required to multi-task.  I bought this doll to ride in gymkhana classes...
but now I want her to show in 4H Western Pleasure and Trail, too.  It's obvious the girl needs some chaps, but I don't want to pay for them so...
one thing led to another... 
and now I'm making doll clothes.
I used magnets so that the chaps would be easy on/easy off.
They're a little bit fiddle-y, and the chaps aren't as tailored as those that are permanently sewn in place. 
Still, they're not bad for a first attempt and more than good enough for my purposes. 
Yay!  That was kind of fun.  Maybe my bendy guy needs some chaps, too!

14 comments:

  1. Well you always know that if you need dolls I always need more tack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me when I say that I NEVER forget that! I have a whole list for you, but I need to get caught up on older orders first.

      I really have zero interest in sewing doll clothes, but I like working in leather. Chaps have now joined boots as rider clothes I can make myself!

      :)

      Delete
    2. I'll happily start thinking of tack I would like to have so I am ready when you are :) Your doll chaps are cute though and the magnets are a neat idea!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I like the idea of using magnets on removable clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chaps look great! Magnets are a fantastic idea. Where do you get magnets that tiny? I need to go looking... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EBay!
      http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151341665969&alt=web

      Delete
    2. I have liked the Eileen's Tack-It-Over and Over glue. I only glue one side (the side most hidden or adjustable) of the item. It allows for infinite adjustability and sticks pretty darn tight usually so I can pull chaps, skirts, etc on snuggly. And unless I drop the item in my sawdust footing I have been able to use it for years. When I went to NAN the same doll showed in Showmanship, driving, western trail and side saddle and got ribbons and plaques in several of those events.

      Delete
    3. That's interesting because I have a bottle of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over glue here that has been a real disappointment. I bought it when I started making sports medicine boots, but every time I used them, the adhesive failed me. Boots stuck fine when I put them on, but by the time the judge came around... complete failure! I gave up on it years ago, but maybe I should give it another try? Who knows? Maybe my experience was atypical!

      Delete
  4. Maybe age? I recently made some with the same bottle I have had for umm, 10+ years, and it did seem a tad less robust. Or maybe they changed the formula?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post! I've wanted to make chaos for awhile but couldn't find a good tutorial.

    -Kelsey Roe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, autocorrect changed "chaps" to "chaos!"

      -Kelsey Roe

      Delete
    2. I liked the typo. I am very accomplished at making chaos!

      :)

      Delete
  6. Typos are my talent... Am I alone on this? xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are beautiful!
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete