Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sandy's Brokeback Boys

The model horse hobby is filled with women who never played with dolls as children, but now, inexplicably, have entire collections of expensive, custom made rider dolls.  Today's guest post tells the story of two dolls owned and loved by my friend and performance shower extraordinaire, Sandy Sanderson.  Thanks, Sandy!

The Brokeback Boys

by Sandy Lyles

It all started a long time ago...  and it's all Lori's fault....
Lori Batchelor and Bill Duncan
I used to just buy pony pouches from her.  Then one Breyerfest, in a small room in the 100 block, or was that the 500s?? Who knows, all I remember it was in a cheap hotel room in a Holiday Inn....  I saw this cowboy laying on the bed. He was an old school wrangler, from the '70's by the way he was dressed.  I had to make him mine. Fifty bucks later we walked out the door together.
Hank and I were together for a lot of years...a versatile cowboy like him, well, we won a lot of competitions.
But time takes its toll on a hard working ranch hand.  Hank's right shoulder gave out...right in the middle of a roping class!!! 
Luckily, it happened in Kentucky, and Lori just happened to be there. Could she hook me up with a younger, less beat up cowpoke? Of course, she says. So off we go to that dank motel room...  Pete was his name. Fit, trim and really tight joints! Just what I needed, and he was dressed a lot like ole Hank! I couldn't resist. 
Months passed and Hank just hung around the tack box, all depressed and such...until Pete asked ole Hank to join him as his ride along on his Chuckwagon race team.
The rest is history. Those two boys got along like peas in pod...
and they immediately started winning.  They even came real close at the Nationals  to earning a Top Ten ribbon two years in a row.
Occaionally, the age difference gets in the way.  When that happens, they'll take on separate gigs....
each a champion in his own right.
Fortunately, they always get back together in the end.  A partnership like this just can't be broken up, not even by Jennifer's jumping mule!
Long live the Brokeback cowboys!

52 comments:

  1. I love this! The Brokeback cowboys, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post, thank you! So many beautiful set ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe Rosie had a crush on him ever since he helped her in the Around the World game! I will break it to her gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is THAT what you call it.....mmm. Shoulda been spin the rider!

      Delete
  4. Those are some gorgeous tack sets, especially the Western saddles. Who made them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Did Hank get his shoulder fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So where's the tent and the herd of sheep set up? *wink* I think the boys are just great and yes, I hope Hank has seen the orthopedic surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! Love seeing your photos, Sandy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Kim, it's fun going back and digging them up....I could go WAAAAY back to when Jen taught me about performance...

      Delete
    2. Pffffft! You've got that the wrong way around. I may have taught you a little bit about tack, but you and your Brokeback Cowboys have taught me so much about performance.

      Delete
  9. So I want to enter your raffle but I only comment as anonymous would I still be entered or would I need to start something else?
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous comments count as long as you sign them!

      :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! P.S, I love your blog!
      ~AHG488

      Delete
  10. Ha! I love them! Any time I have seen them, I know it means there is a really COOL performance setup there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Such a cool set up! I always think that Dolls with Character add to the real life feel of these set-ups!
    -Reflectingstars

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those performance scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love performance set ups too! and ohh how much I love western, cross country, and hunter jumper scenes too! ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  13. Y'know, before I started this hobby, I wasn't into dolls. Now suddenly all my show dolls have names, personalities, and back stories. They like and dislike some of the show horses. It's getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And you have NO idea what they do when you're asleep....remember that missing sticky wax? Finding you poles in an odd place? Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Saddle up takes on a whole new meaning.

      Delete
  15. Are they Megos? The molded-on undies keep things PG, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is there no like button?

      Delete
    2. you guys are so dirty!!!!....its hilarious! ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  16. I love the name for some reason lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I also definitely didn't mind seeing the beautiful Lonesome Dove again! :)

    -Kelsey Roe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right!?!?! ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  18. I take full credit for calling them the Brokeback Mountain Boys first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUUURRRE..... ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  19. Wonderful set ups! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those two certainly get around!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love the entry with the jumping mule haha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love them all very equally, but I have to say I like the odd set ups, and anything that has appys, paints, etc...(ohh, and horses, mules,& ponies too!!, wink wink!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh and I forgot to say donkeys...and to sign my name!! ~megan mankevich PS: I hope this still counts !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a cool story! :) Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm more taken with the horses than the dolls. They're all just stunning :)
    ~ Abby B

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post makes me laugh because I got to see these two in action at NAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. One of the things I love about live shows (besides socializing, playing with my toys and so on) is getting to see everyone's miniatures! Not only cool dolls, awesome tack, gorgeous horses but all the other little things people find or make to put in their scenes. I giggled at the mule jumping photo because donut eating dog and re-ments!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love these guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photos of cool performance photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So many amazing entrys!! That jumping mule will never cease to amaze me! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. Haha, love that last little setup. All your setups always have so much detail!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those horses are just drool-worthy! (funny, but today I was just thinking that a cutter could be a driving horse, I was browsing the blog, and - Voila! a cutter as a driving horse. Great minds think alike, I guess)

    ReplyDelete