Monday, July 28, 2014

World's smallest horse

Yesterday, Ryan, James and I visited the Arapahoe County Fair in Aurora, Colorado.
We had a great time riding... 
the rides, 
 petting...
the animals, 
playing with technology... 
and eating fair food. 
As we wandered around the fairgrounds,
we couldn't help but notice several "freak show" type attractions.
I had no trouble passing up the Snake Girl or World's Smallest Woman... 
but the World's Smallest Horse was a lot more problematic. 
Ten inches at birth!  Alive!  Smaller than a dog!  
I didn't want to be intrigued, but I was.  I also didn't want to waste a dollar on something this exploitative frivolous.  In an effort to get around the entry fee, the kids and I rode the roller coaster next to his booth, in hopes of catching a glimpse of him from the air.
No dice. 
Knowing I was going to regret this, I paid my dollar and climbed onto the viewing platform with my camera safely secured inside my purse.
I looked down and saw...  
a miniature horse.
He was small enough...
but not appreciably smaller than any number of minis...
I've seen over the years.
What a rip-off.  I want my dollar back!  At the same time, I also want to build a "World's Smallest Horse" booth for one of model minis!

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for answering the question without flaunting the law! That was a nice way to solve it. Maybe a model booth could be sold or auctioned, to recoup... (I don't know whether it would really qualify for "Other Performance!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. that guy standing there in that seventh to last photo... I think he figured out what you were doing with that look on his face!!! hehe! ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  3. Aw man, how disappointing! Then again, carnival-type attractions have never really been know for their unfailing honesty. ;)

    -Kelsey Roe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aint that the truth. ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  4. How cute are those goats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY!!! ~MEGAN MANKEVICH

      Delete
  5. Too bad it was a lie. Maybe some day you could meet Enstine who I believe is the worlds smallest horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so funny, because the same exact exhibits were just here at the Delaware State Fair, and my friend and I both debated on whether to pay the dollar to see what was assuredly, a mini horse. In the end, we decided against it, so it's cool to see we were right!
    Also I think they had that same donkey, because I took several pictures of his coat to paint him later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this post was kind of a public service announcement. If you want to waste a dollar on this, that's fine, but don't expect to see anything memorable!

      I also took a lot of pictures of the donkey. I don't know why--I have more donkey reference photos from Longhopes than I will ever use--but he was just so cute, I couldn't help myself!

      Delete
    2. as much as I love all ponies and horses, I went to that same exact exhibit, I also did come out disappointed. basically the only good thing was that I got to see something adorable... and the other thing that had given it away was that there was not just one, but a second one also! ~megan mankevich

      Delete
    3. I meant two ponies in the same exhibit. ~megan mankevich

      Delete
  7. What did he think about the Google Glass?? They look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both kids were VERY impressed with the Google Glass. I didn't try it.

      Delete
  8. They charged more for that exhibit here in MA. I didn't pay to see it, but I think it was 2-3 dollars at least, and that was a few years ago! I do love fairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would make an awesome performance setup though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that just might be my next set up... if only I had a pony. all I have is brookside pink magnum. too big!

      Delete
  10. Well, minis are cute! At least they were minis and not just a small pony...
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really remember, but I think they were either minis, or shetlands. ~megan mankevich

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry it was so disappointing, but I think it would be a fun idea for performance! Please do it (and then post lots of pictures). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, and this just gave me an idea for another Performance entry...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well that's a bit of a scam, though alot of people dont see miniatures very often and we're always being asked what breed they are at the shows over here and if they're shetlands.

    ReplyDelete