Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year/new horse?

I made an early start on my 2013 to do list by braving the cold and auditioning a new lease horse this morning.
Regal Revenue is a fifteen year old Arabian gelding who lives at a large boarding stable just five miles from my home.  Although not a fancy show barn, this stable has some  enticing amenities--in particular, an indoor ring and access to good trails.
Because Rev/Ralphie's owner is recovering from shoulder surgery, he has not been in consistent work for several months.  That, combined with the extremely cold weather, made for a very--how can I put this nicely?--spirited ride.   It wasn't pretty, but it was fun.  I suspect it would be even more fun in better circumstances.   
There are a lot of upsides to leasing this horse.  He's ideally located, he's been leased before, without drama, and he has a really cute face.
On the minus side, he's an Arab, and I am really not an Arab person.  Also, he's a gelding, and I much prefer mares.  And, um, that neck...  I am really not loving that neck!
So, I just don't know.  I keep reminding myself that a lease horse is not a forever horse.  I don't have to be in love with a lease horse.  In fact, it's probably better if I'm not.  In any event, I don't have to decide today.  I'm heading back tomorrow for another look.  Wish me luck (and clarity!).

13 comments:

  1. He DOES have an adorable face. Good luck and happy new year!

    (You will be amused to know that I just noticed that the captcha I have to type in before this comment will post happens to be "iminabit"--which is something your horse might say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that stuff can be fixed...and you can do it :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does look cute and I love his facial marking!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would give him a chance!!

    Arabian geldings can be the most loyal of mounts!! He looks like a real sweetie and with regualr work he will develop a much nicer neck and be a ton of fun to ride!!

    Arabs are very intelligent and like to have a job. I even chased cows on mine!!

    Only 5 miles from home and a cute little chessie Arab? I'd jump on that it a heartbeat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say lease him, even if only for the (maybe really) short term. Every horse, no matter how not perfect for you they may be, can teach you so much. Why not learn lessons from a lease horse that you would never learn from a horse you would/wouldn't buy? I'm currently riding a 22 year old ex Grand Prix gelding who I would never purchase even if he was younger, but he's definitely improving my riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He has a gentle eye, give him a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leasing is so hard! His neck will totally improve with your dressage work though :) Just make sure he's safe, as I'm sure you will, and have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd give him a try. As you said, its not permanent, and both of you may learn something from each other. My Arab gelding and I had a lot of fun years together. Personally, I'd much prefer a gelding to a mare, especially in the springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't add much that the others haven't already said. Yes his neck should improve with proper riding. Yes he will teach you some things that you may not learn otherwise :) He's cute, so long as he is sane this could be a good opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rode an older arabian gelding named Infinity. I fell in love with him! Arabians are intelligent and loyal, a lot like dogs. You will teach him some things and he will teach you some things. And looks very pettable and fuzzy. But in the end it is your choice, chose what is best for you!

    - Blue Horse Stable

    http://bluehorsestable.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. arabs aren't my first choice either. Too much energy. Too flighty. But if you thinking you're really not liking that neck, imagine riding an akhal teke!!!! That neck NEVER goes down! I rode one at camp for a week and every time Cleo stopped I practically banged my nose on the back of her ears!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rev! I forgot how gorgeous you were ^^

    ReplyDelete