Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Head Tutorial, part two

The Head Tutorial, Part Two

By Emilia Kurila

Part One can be found here.

After the nostrils have cured, I take the Dremel and clean everything up! Small files and sandpaper are excellent in here as well. I also use the Dremel to deepen the opening.
Here are the cleaned up nostrils and the first step of sculpting the rest of the muzzle. Again we start with the rolls of epoxy. 
Same step from the other side.
Then I smoothe everything using the flat tool and brush.
Here I noticed how the jawline wasn't exactly how it should be and I took some off using my big round file.
And again the other side. The muzzle looks really smooth here - even a bit too smooth. It's missing the final details such as wrinkles and whisker bumps. Small details like that I add last, only after the whole sculpt is otherwise done. I do my whisker bumps using regular craft/wood glue. It's white, thick liquid type of glue which can be painted on. Tiny veins, bumps etc. done like this can easily get rubbed off if they are not covered with primer, and this is why I do it just before the primer goes on.
Next I sculpt the muscles and other details of the face. Again I start by placing rolls of epoxy where those details are, by using head shots as my guidance. You don't have to be that exact in this stage, but it's good to have the rolls roughly the right shape and size of the detail you are sculpting.
Then I smooth everything down using the flat tool and brush.
And from the left side.
Next - ears! First we roll some epoxy!
Then we flatten it! This is the shape you want for the right ear. The surface facing the camera will be the inside of the ear.
Don't make the piece too thin or it wont stay in shape. You can always use the files and sand paper to refine the thickness once the epoxy has cured.
And then we fold it from the bottom! I only noticed afterwards I accidentally switched into making the left ear here  But as you can see you can do whichever ear you want from the flattened piece, depending on which side you fold it over to 
Finally push the ear onto place! You don't have to make it perfect here - just to have it in the position you want and to make sure it doesn't fall of while it cures.
When that has cured I add epoxy around the bottom of the ear. And when that has cured I again use my files to refine the shape. I use the Dremel bit to carve the insides. 
That's pretty much it! Now the head only lacks the final small details (veins, wrinkles and whisker bumps) which I will add last with the rest of the final detailing that goes into the sculpture.

Please join me in thanking Emilia for sharing this peek into her sculpting process!  The model pictured is her still in progress Lippitt Morgan sculpture.  He will eventually be released in resin, which makes me very happy.  I can't wait to have that face looking standing on my shelf!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Emilia! This is the perfect timing for this tutorial! I just recently started my first sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very educational! I learned a lot, thanks Emilia! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Emilia! I am really fascinated, some day I will give it a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Emilia for sharing your great tutorial.
    I love how you've gone into such great detail on each particular part of the horse head. Plus your clear and concise instructions give hope to a novice like me that I will be able to produce something horse shaped, when I give your tutorial a try! : )
    This has truly been an informative read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really Great! I cannot wait to try! Thank you so much.
    What kind of epoxy do you use? Amazing sculpt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou so much Emilia!! Some day perhaps I'll be game enough to give it a crack.

    Can't wait to see him complete too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone! I'm so happy to hear that you found this tutorial helpful! :)

    Elizabeth, I use Apoxie Sculpt with all my work.

    I'm putting the muscle details on him now, after that it will be the mane & tail and then the final detailing. It shouldn't take long now to get him completed! You can follow his progress on my FB page - I'm posting photos of him there as more work gets done :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Emilia. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete