Monday, October 7, 2013

All mine

I didn't set out to be a tackmaker.  

When I was a kid holed up in my room with the most recent issue of Just About Horses, I'd look at the tack and think, "I want to own that" rather than, "I want to make that."

Unfortunately, my hobby budget was small.  I couldn't afford the things I wanted, and on the few occasions that I did buy something, it was always disappointing.  Eventually, inevitably, I decided to try the do-it-yourself route.  The rest is history.  

However, part of me will always be twelve.  I still sit in my room looking at tack--including pieces I've made for other people--and think, "I want to own that."

I can't afford to keep everything I make, but I do try to make tack for myself at least occasionally.  Later this week, I expect to receive a very special horse, so this weekend I decided to make her a very special bridle.
As is often the case with things I intend to keep, I used this bridle as a test piece to try out and refine some new (or at least new-ish) techniques.  
Happily, this bridle came together easily without any major issues.  Even better--the result is something I really do want to own.
I can not wait for my beautiful new horse to arrive.  She's going to look so pretty in this bridle!

16 comments:

  1. She will look so PURDY in that bridle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god ur tiffiany...im so happy tocsee u comment....ur my idol well one of them..top 5

    Love the bridle jenn

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want to own that" is pretty much why I make tack too :) I can't wait to see the new pony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im trying to learn how to make tack too..Im starting to get allowance For cleaning my room, and folding clothes...Im going to buy the western saddle kit...Also I'm getting a Peter Stone pony Snap Dragon Pony for 50.00$...Its LSQ so...YEA;)...Im looking fowared to seeing the pony

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Rio Rondo saddle kit changed my life. Seriously. Even though my first saddle didn't turn out well, it taught me so many lessons that I was able to take and apply to other saddles and bridles and halters and... I always tell aspiring tackmakers to buy that kit and put it together. It doesn't matter what it looks like when done. The main thing is to finish it and listen to your internal dialogue. If you're thinking, "OMG I never want to do that again," then you're probably not a tackmaker. If you're thinking, "Next time I'm going to do this differently and maybe I'll try this and..." then probably you are!

    Congrats on your new pony! The Stone Pony is one of my favorite OF molds. I love all four of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advise jenn...the saddle kit is also good cause u can keep the patterns... and u keep the instructions.... im thinking once im good at the saddle kit ill go onto bridles and boots.... good or bad idea...im gonna time my time though..


      Thanks for the pony congrarts LOL

      Rebekah

      Delete
  6. It is SO important to make tack for yourself every once and a while -- ! Great connectors too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with timaru star ii...Awsome:)

      Rebekah

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful bridle! I'm very excited to see who this Mystery Mare is! :)

    An style bit for it is fabulous, very western-ey. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The,,mystery mare is going to be awsome i think??? Good luck jenn

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn i might make a custom Rev..do u think i should..if u want me too then please post a good pic Of rev..i wont scult the horse ill just get a breyer horse...what body should he be??

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing! I love the curb. Just so you know, curbs typically have two chains instead of one. :) Can't wait to see the new horse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where i buy my curb chain its only one chain..

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was the buyer at Brighton Feed, I usually bought half single chain and half double. They sold equally well. I think it's just preference.

    As for the model curb chain--it's tricky enough to fit this much in that small space. I do not feel compelled to make it even more complicated!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If h have a michesls nearby then go and ask them for curb chain.....thats what i :)

      Rebekah

      Delete
    2. I never realized there were western curb chains that had only one chain! The only ones I've seen were at Tractor Supply or the local feed store, thank you for correcting me on that.

      I agree completely on the model curbs, I've attempted them before, I don't know how you do it!

      Delete