Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Digging deep

I've spent the last six months photo-documenting my resin and custom collection.  At this point, most of the show horses are done.  This week, I've dug deep into the storage tubs and rediscoveredsome of the older members of my herd.

Like this guy:
Cowboy Boogie is a Lori Daniels Cowboy Commando resin who was also painted by Lori.  He was the result of my very first tack for resin trade.  At the time, I could not believe my fortune.  Seriously, someone was willing to trade a traditional size painted resin for my tack?  How cool was that?!
Ibn Sabeek also came to me via an early tack trade.  He arrived with a broken leg, which I repaired (my first resin repair!).  He is a HA Regel resin sculpted by Tina Lamport and painted by Elizabeth Bouras.
Sweat Equity was a waste mold casting of Karen Gerhardt's Streetwise resin.  I bought him from Karen at a live show for ten dollars.  He was my first unpainted resin and the first resin I ever prepped.  It took me a full year to get him ready to paint. 
I sent him to Melissa Mistretta (now Libbie Grant) and asked for a bay splash white pattern. Instead, I got chestnut.  At the time I was a little disappointed, but now I think the miscommunication just adds to his charm. 
This big guy is O'Malley, a Kathleen Moody Utopia resin who was painted by Cheryl Calentine.
He is actually my second Utopia.  The first was the unbraided mare version who I got in trade from one of my early tack customers.  I really, really wanted to like that one.  She was, to my knowledge, the first model ever to wear my tack at NAN so the sentimental value was there.  Still, we never bonded, and eventually I traded her for this guy.  I've never regretted that.  I like him so much better, and he's still a reminder of that long ago NAN entry!
None of these horses are part of my showstring, but that doesn't make them any less valuable to me.  Together, they tell the story of my early resin collecting days.  I am proud to have them in my collection.

10 comments:

  1. I remember that Streetwise in naked form. He had to be a @#$%^@#$%^&* to prep.... hence the year it took...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do it faster now, but he was my first. I had to figure out everything as I went, and that takes time. It was a good learning experience, though. After that boy, nothing scares me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I LOVE Cowboy Boogie. You're great with names ;)

    And that Streetwise for $10? What a deal! (Even though he was untainted) Good luck photographing the rest of your collection, I'd love to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you said most of your show string was photographed, so I went to your Collection Link to drool over my favorites (Rune and Raconteur) but I didn't see Rune's photo.

    He's not *gasp* gone... is he??

    ReplyDelete
  5. No fears--Rune's still here. I've been a bit remiss in updating the collection photos here on the blog. I have soooooo many horses, and I feel that the page has become rather unwieldy. Instead, I've been putting them mainly in a Facebook album. I believe this is view able even to non Facebook members, but please let me know if I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whew* : )

      Thank you for the link to the Facebook album. Yes, I was able to access it with no problems, even as a non-Facebook member.
      Lovely photos, as always!

      Delete
  6. Wasn't cowboy boogie a MEPSA champion once? I remembered him because his photo (on the MEPSA website) really "popped" to me. But so did New York doll, Nejmet Es Subh, Tristan, and many other models that were yours! You are a natural at producing a good photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you thinking of this picture. I know I showed it for a long time and with great success in the MEPSA Liberty class?

    Of course, I also showed Cowboy in halter (I was SO proud to own him!), and he did well there. I don't remember any big wins, but then again, there's a lot of things I don't remember! His finishwork is not LSQ by today's standards, but he photographs well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow... I remember Sweat Equity. I totally don't remember that you wanted him in bay...I remember working on him and thinking, "Why did she want chestnut splash? He'd look so much better in bay!" Har har. It would have been an easy fix, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am such a dork. I really did want bay, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings so I didn't say anything. Nowadays I think I'm much less shy/nice. I'd have definitely called you on it!

    Of course it's all water under the bridge now. I've really come around to liking the chestnut and would let you change him even if you wanted to!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete