Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tack reference Tuesday

Back in the pre-internet, pre-digital photography days, it was often really, really difficult to find reference photos of anything but the most common types of tack.  Because of this, I maintained a whole series of three ring binders...
that I filled with all the information I could find regarding different riding disciplines and their associated tack.
My references included catalog pages,
magazine pictures, 
sketches and notes,
and a few, precious close-up photographs. 
I still have all these binders...
but I rarely use them any more. 
Google image searches have all but replaced magazines and tack catalogs,
and thanks to my digital camera, I now have the ability to create huge and specific reference libraries of my own.
It's almost too easy nowadays.
All I need is a few hours at a horse event...
and I have more photos than I know what to do with.
Seriously--I don't know what to do with all these photos! 
I suppose I could  stop taking them, but that's no fun.  Plus, I know how valuable good reference material can be. 
So, I've decided to share them here.  
If you've been looking for racing saddle reference photos, today is your lucky day.
Enjoy the photos and remember--this used to be a lot harder!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely it did!! I struggled so hard to find references for silver parade. I would buy an entire magazine for one clipping. The Stock Show sometimes had free breed literature. I sneaked a camera into museums. I went to the library for one picture.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Google is now your friend. Which, in some ways, is sad because it means that people aren't going in person to shows and events. I did that a ton as a horse crazy kid and was able to do a lot of looking and what not that was invaluable. I loved trying to figure out what the judge's were going to pin first and see exactly what was required for the classes.

    Even got to ride a Peruvian once :)

    But also there's a ton of people who don't want to even Google to get the basic answer. That drives me nuts. Take advantage of it - it never sleeps, it can translate languages and has an excellent image search engine (esp if you use the Tin Eye or Google Search plugins for Chrome!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I know that you have "Friday Favorites" and "Almost wordless Wednesdays" but I didn't know that you had "Tack reference Tuesdays!!"
    I like all the racing saddles.

    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't promise this will be a regular (or semi-regular) feature, but who knows? I have taken a LOT of tack photos over the years!

      Delete
  4. Heh, all of these photos just reinforce my innate desire to NOT try riding a TB at 40 mph. sitting in one of those things... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the little diamonds on the saddle second from the bottom! I've never seen a race saddle with decorations before.

    ReplyDelete