Saturday, August 3, 2013

Happy birthday

A couple days ago, I opened my email inbox and found a birthday e-card addressed to Emma.  I thought that was kind of funny, so I logged onto Facebook and posted this status update:  I guess today is Emma's birthday since she just received an online birthday card from our vet. I didn't buy her a present, but she seems happy with her stick. 
That should have been the end of it, but then Carol decided that Emma needed a birthday party.

At first, I was unconvinced.  "Emma's a dog," I reminded her.  "She doesn't care about birthday parties."

"Yes, she does," Carol said firmly.  "We're having a party at six o'clock tonight.  I'll bring ice cream if you make the cake."

"Hmmmm, " I thought to myself.  "Ice cream sounds pretty good.  Maybe Emma really does want a birthday party..."

I found some cake mix...
and I made cupcakes.
Darcy... 
and Emma helped with the dishes.
By the time six o'clock rolled around, the party was in full swing.  That's James, Nate and Ryan with the birthday girl.  Doesn't she look thrilled?
You can't have a dog party without dogs, so we also welcomed Rasko...
and Delilah into our home.
Darcy,
Carol...
and I rounded out the guest list.  Seth would have been there, but he had to work late.  I'm sure he is sooooo sad that he missed this!
After dinner, Emma opened her presents...
and ate the first cupcake at the table. 
Then all the dogs went outside to eat the rest of the cupcakes. 
I'm still not convinced that dogs care about birthday parties, but they definitely like birthday cupcakes! 
Looking for crumbs! 
I have to admit, that Emma's impromptu birthday party was a lot of fun.  Next year, however, I probably won't announce her birthday on Facebook!

8 comments:

  1. Next year she needs cake AND ice cream!
    http://www.nestleusa.com/brands/ice-cream/frosty-paws

    We used to get that for our dogs birthday every year when I was growing up. He LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Lesson learned. When our dog has a birthday, we give her a new bone. A real cow bone. Yummy!
    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dogs love getting Pawbenders at Good Times, so I have no doubt they'd love that ice cream, too. Maybe next year we can skip the party and just have the treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the cake mix? Moe and Lily would love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where the cake mix came from. One of Seth's friends gave it to us for Christmas, and it's been sitting in my cupboard and waiting for an occasion ever since!

      Delete
  5. Aww, rats, I wanted to know where the cake mix came from, too! I'm sure I could find a recipe online.

    We have celebrated several of Sunshine's b-days. Last year when she turned 10, she got an enormous specially-decorated baked treat from our local gourmet doggie emporium, and a couple presents. She seems to know when she's allowed to sit at the table that it's a special occasion, and she's even willing to wear a birthday hat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Abbie turned fifteen, I threw her a fairly elaborate (at least by my standards) birthday party. Most of the time, however, I think a special treat is celebration enough.

      When I lived in Tennessee, I had a friend who hosted a catered, black tie party every year for her Basset Hound's birthday. Crazy!

      Delete