Friday, August 2, 2013

Happy trails

Rev and I took a break from arena work today and joined our new friends, Mary Jo and her Saddlebred, Scarlett on a leisurely, six mile ride to the Morrison Nature Center.
Usually, when I go out on the trails, I head south and east.  This time we went the other direction--to the north and the west.  The trail is mostly flat and easy to ride, but it does include several bridges and underpasses.  
This is the view from under East Colfax Avenue, which is the Denver/Aurora metropolitan area's main East-West thoroughfare. 
We followed a curving path... 
to another underpass (this one is Airport Rd.)... 
and then, finally, we caught a glimpse of the mountains.   
We also saw a big heron fishing in the creek. 
That's him in the tree!
More easy trails brought us to our destination...
the Morrison Nature Center. 
We didn't go inside.  Instead, we looped around and headed for home.
Along the way, we saw a pair of fawns. 
Unfortunately, they didn't want to see us! 
Bridges and underpasses aside, this isn't a challenging trail.
There are no cliffs to climb, no dramatic mountain vistas.
Still, it's beautiful in its own way. 
I was very sad when my Trillium lease ended so abruptly.  Now, however, I think it all worked out for the best.  I love my current situation--the barn, the people, the trails and, especially, that goofy Arab.  I am looking forward to a future filled with many more happy trails!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great ride, and I'm happy that you're so happy with the current situation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Rev's ears are always alert and checking everything out in every picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rev isn't terribly spooky, but he's definitely an Arab. Every encounter with something new (or semi-new) merits pricked ears, a snort and sometimes, a little dance. If he ever learns to stand still on the trail, I'll have better pictures to share!

      Delete
  3. Love the photos, especially the ones with Rev's ears in them. Looks like you had a nice ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures with Revs ears in them!!
    How long was that ride? It looked a like a decent trail. I would love to ride there. Hum...maybe I should go sometime.

    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, how long did it take you to ride to trail from start to finish??

    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were out for about two hours, maybe two and a half. We weren't going very fast. This ride was all about enjoying the scenery and the conversation. No one was in a hurry!

      :)

      Delete