Sunday, May 18, 2014

Riding Miz Scarlett

Like every horse crazy kid, I grew up dreaming of owning a horse of my own.

Unfortunately, it didn't take me long to realize that, short of a miracle, horse ownership wasn't in the cards for me, at least not in the short term.  Since I couldn't be "the girl who had a magical connection with her own horse," I decided I would be "the girl who rode all the horses."  

In an effort to document my status, I started keeping a list of every horse I was allowed to sit on.
 By the time I was fifteen, I'd given up on the list...
but the ride everything behavior... 
persisted for decades. 
I rode big horses... 
little horses...
cheap horses... 
and really, really expensive horses.
Nowadays, I'm mostly content to focus on one horse at a time...
but old habits die hard.  I can't help but keep a mental list of horses I'd like to ride.  For nearly a year, Mary Jo's wonderful Saddlebred, Scarlett, has held the top position.
No longer! 
Mary Jo is currently vacationing in Greece, so today--finally!--I got to ride Scarlett. 
She was totally worth the wait. 
 I can't say that every moment was blissful...
but most of them were pretty close! 
Thanks so much for trusting me with Miz Scarlett, Mary Jo.
I promise I'm taking good care of her!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for being so faithful to share. I really enjoy it! Horse crazy in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have a question though: the bay horse in the second picture.....are both of his ear's cut off a little? Or are my eye's failing? I saw a horse once with ears like it, that they had been cut off because the ear had been infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my old roommate's horse, Tim. He was an off the track TB that had lost his ear tips to frostbite. There are more pictures in this post.

      :)

      Delete