Saturday, March 1, 2014

Leadville or bust

For the last ten years at least, I've been wanting to attend one of the ski-joring festivals in Colorado's high country.  A couple weeks ago, I decided this was the year and made plans to attend this weekend's Crystal Carnival in Leadville.
At more than ten thousand feet about sea level, Leadville is the highest incorporated in United States.  It's located one hundred and three miles west of Denver, which is a two hour drive in nice weather.  Unfortunately, today the weather was anything but nice.

 We battled dense fog,
bumper to bumper ski traffic, 
and heavy snow for almost two hours. 
Progress was slow, but we were determined.  Nothing was going to stop us, at least not until we saw this sign.  
We exited at the next small town,
slid down main street... 
and parked in front of the first restaurant we could find.  Once inside, we consulted the iPhone.  
Sadly, all the news was bad.  I-70 was closed at the tunnel and not expected to reopen any time soon. 
Since there are no alternative routes from Empire to Leadville, we had no choice but to turn around and go back down the mountain.
I think it was a good decision, especially in light of all the traffic accidents and emergency vehicles we encountered on our way home.  Still, I am sad. 
I guess I'll have to wait at least one more year to cross ski-joring off my horsey bucket list.

5 comments:

  1. What a bummer. Glad you guys were safe though with all that weather and traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, bummer. I would be extremely disappointed. That happened to my family one winter too. We had to reroute to Beaver Creek, CO for our five day stay up there (In quite a nice hotel) with friends (who were in another hotel). At least we didn't have to turn around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how to make a half pad? If you do can you PLEASE make a tutorial as soon as possible? Thanks it would mean alot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to do a tutorial on my blog, www.modelhorsesrock.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  4. I'm just amazed ski-joring is still practiced... and judging by the crowds, it must have been popular! Your last picture is very suggestive: a good idea to combat disappointment...

    ReplyDelete