Friday, March 7, 2014

Pictures from yesterday's ride

It's cold and wet today, which is great if you like that sort of thing.
I don't, so I've spent the day inside, doing laundry, working on tack and editing pictures from yesterday's ride.

Mary Jo and I had planned to meet at the barn for a short, early afternoon trail ride. I arrived on time, but Mary Jo was delayed. This could have been a problem, but happily, the lag proved to be a good thing, as it allowed several other riders to join our party.  Best of all, we were able to convince Kristina, who was making her first post-Kahlua barn visit, to borrow Laura's lovely, Soraya, and come with us.
We set out down the driveway, with Emma and Catalac leading the way.  They were followed by Claire and Doodle, Mary Jo and Scarlett, Kristina and Soraya and Mystyc and me.  The riders' ages in this group ranged from twelve to sixty three, but on the trail, we're all equals.  How great is that?
We followed the path along the golf course...
and entered the Aurora Open Space. 
Kahlua was still very much on everyone's mind, so there were some tears, but mostly this was a happy ride.   
As we neared the Coal Creek Arena, we saw the coyotes. 
Best I could do with my cell phone! 
Instead of turning around and heading back the way we'd come, we decided to cross the stream and ride back on the other side. 
I hadn't ridden Mystyc through water yet, and although she's crossed this stream before, she wouldn't do it with me.  My tears of sadness were replaced with tears of frustration, but eventually and with Emma's help, we did make it to the other side.  It wasn't pretty, but at least Mystyc's poor behavior took everyone's mind off being sad. 
Oh well.  Not every ride is going to be perfect.  This was a good day spent with good friends and (mostly) good horses.  I can't complain.

4 comments:

  1. Could you do a Hunt Seat Pleasure for the Model Horse series? Your posts about dressage and western pleasure for model horses were incredibly helpful, and I'd love to see one about Hunters. :)

    *The removed comment above was just Blogger randomly deleting this comment the first time I posted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked those posts, too! If anyone wants to write another one, I'd be more than happy to publish it.

      :)

      Delete
  2. There's snow, yes? And the girl is riding in t-shirt... weird ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sixty degrees that day, so just at the bottom edge of t-shirt weather. I think I was wearing a t-shirt and a fleece jacket.

      :)

      Delete