Friday, February 28, 2014

Un-natural trail

Most longtime performance showers end up collecting more than just horses.

The "collection creep" starts innocently enough, usually with dolls or cows or dogs.  That progresses to cats and goats and food and vehicles, and before you know it, just about anything that could conceivably be used for an entry is fair game.

Carra McClelland and Morgan Haberman have taken this one step further.  Behold, their infamous "Unnatural trail" entry.
The documentation reads: "Horse and rider come upon the aftermath of the I FELTA THI fraternity scavenger hunt party. None of the fraternity brothers were ever found…"
photo by Carra McClelland
In this set-up, Morgan's Hagen-Renaker, Lippitt Amaury Profit, finds himself coming face to face with a plethora of random--and sometimes otherworldly--obstacles.  These include, but are not limited to, various animals, a mailbox, gargoyles, speakers, and paraphernalia which is only legal to use in Colorado and Washington.
photo by Carra McClelland
Because I don't get out much, I've never actually seen this entry in person.  However, last weekend I had the pleasure of exploring Carra and Morgan's traditional scale Unnatural Trail prop box in the comfort of my own home.
As a lover of all things 1:9 scale, this was so exciting!
Naturally, Teresa went right to the blow up doll...
whereas I was more attracted to the trash can, toilet and bungee cords!
Squee!  Board games with actual game pieces.
Goats and chickens and snakes, oh my!
Did I mention that I really love the bungee cords?  The lantern is cool, too.  It actually works!
So many neat and random things...
Where did they find it all?
Like the lantern, the campfire--which was made by Morgan--also lights up.
A bear and a pirate trail gate?  As Carra says, "Because why not?"
My excited squeals drew the attention of the kids.  They came to investigate and immediately found themselves immersed in Carra and Morgan's world.
My kids have no interest in model horse showing, but Unnatural Trail is another thing entirely.  They were almost as charmed by the contents of this prop box as I was.
I can not wait to see all this stuff on the show table at Springamthing.
What a marvelous explosion of creativity!  As much as I enjoy the serious side of the hobby, I'm glad there's a place for all things weird and wonderful!  Thanks to Carra and Morgan for allowing to share their Unnatural obsession!

P.S.  I really want some miniature bungee cords.  Because why not?

16 comments:

  1. "Because why not" is always the BEST reason to do/get anything!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's going to be my new motto.

      :)

      Delete
    2. love it!!!.........because...why not

      Delete
  2. Bunch of cool stuff! For more, try browsing through the 3000+ items on eBay in the dollhouse miniatures category. Most stuff is classic scale but often a seller won't know that not everything tiny is officially for dollhouses and list something Trad scale. I used to spend HOURS looking there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been the happy recipient of some of your finds--specifically the ladder and four wheeler but also, indirectly, the golf cart.

      One of these days I'm even going to use them!

      Delete
  3. Okay I totally had those miniature board games but don't remember where they came from! Anyone know? That's driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have some too- they were keychains. I found a bunch listed on ebay. :)

      Delete
    2. YesS!!!! I had some on my massive key chain collection that was oh so cool in middle school ;)

      Delete
  4. Unnatural Trail has taken on a legendary life of its own. The main criteria has always been: "If you were a drunk college kid - would you steal this?" The rest has been gathered from many sources from all over the World. The items in the box are but a few of the goodies available to use. Vehicles, tents, 1:9 scale animals: sheep, white or wheat tigers, brace of cheetah [cheeti?], the infamous Cedric and Peggy Komodos, and many other odd critters.

    As far as further additions/options I am working on yard flamingos, sleeping bags, taxidermied deer, red solo cups in various stages of misuse, tomb stones, folding chairs, beer cans, potato chip bags, more camping/fishing/outdoor activity stuffs, as well as "light my fart" guy - just need to figure out how to position him for optimal lighting and make a bic lighter for him to use.

    I have drawn up plans to recreate the crappy orange couch I had in college the one with three legs and a can of random fruit or vegetables to hold it up.

    The Classic Sized Unnatural Trail selection is even more over the top with extra special goodies including: "eight heads in a duffel bag," the fiddy cent baby Jesus, and "Raisin' the Roof Buddha." I am working on an SM scale version, but that's coming along slowly. So far so good with a zombie-mummy and some other oddities.

    Because? Why not?

    Thanks for sharing what I hope will be the source of amusement for many shows to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things--Number one, I bow down to your awesomeness. Number two, I want some red Solo cups. And bungee cords.

      Delete
    2. Found the source for the bungees!http://phoenixtoys.com/Hobby-Gear/PTX-Hobby-Gear-1:10/bungee-cords

      Great stuff here!

      Delete
  5. Can you make a collection tour thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Love the bungees too. But where the heck did they ever find a 1:9 scale blow-up doll? Who knew there was a market for such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you use for piping on your saddle and were do you get it

    ReplyDelete
  8. A DALEK!!! You dont want to encounter one of those on the trail.

    ReplyDelete