Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On the side

Fabian wasn't the only one who was excited to see Mary Vanderloop's sidesaddle booth at this year's Rocky Mountain Horse Expo.  I was right there next to him... 
with camera in hand...
busily capturing the details... 
from every conceivable angle.! 
This was the first time I've ever seen a Charro sidesaddle without someone sitting in it. 
It has a suspended seat, three horns and stirrups on both sides. 
This is definitely an unusual looking saddle.  I'm glad to have pictures of it for my reference files!
Of course, there's no better way to learn about a saddle than to actually sit in it.    
Happily, I got to do that, too!
I think I'm ready to try this on a horse...  
Look out, Cisco.  I'm coming for you!

3 comments:

  1. It feels very strange compared to riding astride! Tips are to keep your right foot pointing down, and to try and keep you torso looking straight (I found this much easier said than done!). My whole body ached the next day, so take it easy on the first go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am eager to give it a try, but I don't know if I'll be able to point my foot down! That seems so wrong...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it feels really wrong too! But it really makes a difference to the security of your set and helps your right leg grip the pommel. I rode on a saddle with a leather seat, it was slippy! I really understand why so many side-saddles have doe skin seats! Hopefully you'll feel more secure on a suede seat

    ReplyDelete