Thursday, March 27, 2014

Happy ending

Sacred's baby is one week old today.
He celebrated the occasion with his brand... 
new...
mama! 
This mare's foal contracted joint ill and was euthanized yesterday.  Strangely enough, she wasn't biologically related to that foal either.  She belongs to a embryo transfer program and earns her keep by carrying and raising other mare's foals. 
Our little dude is just delighted with her.  He says, "269 is mine!"  
I'm chaperoning a sixth grade field trip tomorrow, so I probably won't make it out to the barn.  I'll miss spending time with the little guy, but I don't think he'll notice.
He's got a brand new mama, and she's got everything under control.

20 comments:

  1. This is good news! I always worry about orphan foals, but his future just got a LOT brighter :) Warm and fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Happy tears for a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is WONDERFUL! I'm sure the mama is very happy to have a little one again, too. What did the trick to get them together? Was it the "soap on the nose" method or similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't there last night when the mare was delivered, but I'm told she nickered as soon as he was led over to her and immediately allowed him to nurse. Granted, she was just off an hour long trailer ride and was sedated, but still... she wanted a baby. No tricks involved, just maternal desire and hormones!

      Delete
  5. That makes my heart melt. And I think I've discovered what it is about him that's so enchanting...other than his incredible adorableness...his ears curl inward a little, all most like a Marwari. Those ears give him so much character. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great news! Happy for both mama and son!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mare has such a kind face. So glad it worked out for them both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memere is happy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! That'll be one confused foal--"Am I an Arabian or a Quarter Horse?" (is the new mom a QH?). I'm glad they have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, what a cute momma, and glad baby has a mom of his own to teach him how to be a horse now. :) Momma looks so much like my late mare in build, so I'm of course biased towards her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ozzy was born red bag and contracted joint ill. It was a long, tough, expensive road for the first three months and I am so grateful he made it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Ozzy made it, too!

      I've had limited experience with foals and had never heard of joint ill before yesterday. It sounds like a terrible disease, and I feel so bad for the owners of 269's first baby. Life really is so fragile.

      Delete