Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hardcore

Today is one of those deceptive Colorado winter days.

The sun is shining brightly in a clear blue sky.  It comes flooding through the windows, bringing light and warmth.  If you can ignore the snow on the ground, it almost seems like it should be t-shirt weather out there.
It's not. 
I had plans to meet Mystyc's owner for a mid-day trail ride today.  If it had been anyone else, I probably would have cancelled.  Deb is hardcore, though.  I know she goes out in all kinds of weather, so I put on two pairs of socks, winter boots, long underwear, jeans, a turtleneck, winter gloves and a down jacket and headed out to the barn.

Sure enough, Deb was already sitting on Sweet Pea when I arrived.  I saddled Mystyc, and we headed out.
Deb chose a trail that took us down into the trees along the river bottom.  The footing was a bit icy in spots, but like I said, Deb is hardcore.  We let the horses pick their way, and it worked out just fine.
The creek itself was frozen over. 
We briefly entertained thoughts of crossing it anyway.  Fortunately, Deb is hardcore but not crazy.  We ended up going the other way, which took us to higher, more solid ground.   
It was a cold but beautiful ride.  I'm glad I didn't wimp out. 
Now I am at home, watching HGTV in my pajamas and stitching a pink saddle blanket...
because that's how us hardcore riders roll!

8 comments:

  1. You are not hard core, just nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun lies around here soooooooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to ride in the snow! At least once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be arranged, you know. I'm able to borrow Sweet Pea from time to time, and she is pretty much the BEST trail horse EVER. She would totally get you past your fear of trail riding!

      Delete
  4. Lol! It's so warm here in Michigan! It's 20 degrees, Yay!
    For the last few weeks, on and off, it's been around -35. Yup...It's sad when you're excited for 20 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Los Angeles County and didn't even *touch* snow until I was seventeen years old. I think twenty is COLD! Of course, it's a lot colder than that now, but I'm not outside riding in it.

      ;)

      Delete
    2. Ha! You should have saw my horse when I went riding in 10 degree weather. It was so funny when I walked into the field and he looked at me like "What are you doing here? It's too cold to ride!"

      Delete
  5. "Dedicated" is an excellent synonym for hardcore." :D

    ReplyDelete