Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Meeting Rugged Lark

Without a doubt, the most memorable part of the 1994 HITS Ocala Winter Circuit was my visit to Bo-Bett Farm, home of the two time Super Horse, Rugged Lark.
As life long horse lovers, Cathy and I were veterans of a lot of stable visits.  We thought we knew what was in store for us as we drove onto the property, passing several pastures full of beautiful, well-cared for Quarter Horse mares and foals.
We expected that we'd get the chance to meet Rugged Lark, most likely through the bars of his stall door or over a pasture fence.  If we were lucky, someone might get him out and stand him up for photos.  If we were really, really lucky, we might even get to be in those photos. 
We had no idea. 
We got out at the main barn and introduced ourselves to Rugged Lark's handler.  She saw our cameras and asked if we'd like to take pictures of him.  We said yes, so she took him out of his stall, brushed him, oiled his feet and handed the lead rope to Cathy.  

"Just take him out to that pasture over there, " she said.  "The background should be really nice."

We were incredulous.  "Aren't you going to come with us?" we asked.

"Not unless you want me in your pictures," she replied.

Oh.  My.  God.

So we took Rugged Lark out to the pasture...
and took turns... 
taking photos of each other...
until we ran out of film!
I've met a lot of nice horses in my life, but Rugged Lark was truly exceptional.  He was a champion show horse, a sire of champions and as friendly and gentle as any horse I've ever had the pleasure of handling.  I am so glad I got to meet him!

11 comments:

  1. That's so cool! He was always one of my very favorites, right up there with Gem Twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have seen Gem Twist in person. Alas, I never had the chance.

      Delete
  2. That is SO awesome! Cathy left out those little important facts such as you guys getting to play with him all by yourselves. Of course, she also left out the fact that she wasn't alone. hahahaha. I've gotten to meet a couple of famous Arabs, but nothing comes close to your experience with Rugged Lark. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His face! His beautiful, beautiful face! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rugged Lark! Amazing story and photos.
    The horse related things that you have done in your lifetime could fill and book (and probably SHOULD!)

    When I was that age, I would have given anything to have lived your early 'horsey-life'; that eat, drink, sleep horse life you seemed to have. I really enjoy reading about it, although it makes my life with horses seem so limited and tame in comparison.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that should read:
      "could fill a book"

      Delete
  5. Love that story, must of been the coolest day ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rugged Lark was such a gorgeous QH. Not overly muscled like those weird halter types, but a look of a horse who could function and still be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god Jennifer! I just searched 'Rugged Lark' and on the first page, near the top are you and Cathy with him!

    ReplyDelete