Little Rev is prepped and ready for paint. However, before I send him on his way, I need to address one more issue: his stand, or lack thereof.
The Cooper resin comes with two small bases that fit under his left fore and hind hooves. Without them, he doesn't stand at all.
I am not a fan of this arrangement, partly because I find the bases little bit fiddle-y but mostly because the they're really easy to lose. In fact, I've lost track of mine which is why Rev has been using the lid of a gum tragacanth bottle for all his photo shoots.
Obviously, this is not a good long term solution, so today, I carefully drilled holes into two of Rev's hooves...
and inserted acryllic pegs.I sanded the ends flush with the ground, and now Rev stands solidly with nary a wobble. Hurray!
Once that was done, I turned my attention to my Lisa Sharpe cutter resin, who will be accompanying Rev on his trip to Tennessee.
Generally speaking, I prefer performance horses to be shod, and since Moose is definitely a performance type, I've decided to try something new with him: sculpted shoes.
I started by mixing some two part epoxy and rolling it into a "worm."
I then squished it onto the bottom of his foot in a rough, horse shoe shape. I repeated this step for each foot and allowed the epoxy to cure a little bit.
When it was firm but still workable, I went back in with my sculpting tool and removed the excess epoxy to give the shoe a more even appearance.
I continued to refine the shape and add detailing until the epoxy began feeling crumbly. At this point, I know it's best to leave things alone. Once the epoxy sets, I can go back in and finish up with sandpaper. While I'm at it, I'll also remove those little blobs in the tendon grooves!
I'm pretty pleased with how this is going so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish him up tomorrow and put both my fancy-footed resins into the hands of the United States Postal Service!