Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Fancy footwork

Little Rev is prepped and ready for paint.  However, before I send him on his way, I need to address one more issue:  his stand, or lack thereof.
The Cooper resin comes with two small bases that fit under his left fore and hind hooves.  Without them, he doesn't stand at all.

I am not a fan of this arrangement, partly because I find the bases little bit fiddle-y but mostly because the they're really easy to lose.  In fact, I've lost track of mine which is why Rev has been using the lid of a gum tragacanth bottle for all his photo shoots.  

Obviously, this is not a good long term solution, so today, I carefully drilled holes into two of Rev's hooves...
and inserted acryllic pegs.
I sanded the ends flush with the ground, and now Rev stands solidly with nary a wobble.  Hurray! 
Once that was done, I turned my attention to my Lisa Sharpe cutter resin, who will be accompanying Rev on his trip to Tennessee.
Generally speaking, I prefer performance horses to be shod, and since Moose is definitely a performance type, I've decided to try something new with him: sculpted shoes.

I started by mixing some two part epoxy and rolling it into a "worm."
I then squished it onto the bottom of his foot in a rough, horse shoe shape. I repeated this step for each foot and allowed the epoxy to cure a little bit.
When it was firm but still workable, I went back in with my sculpting tool and removed the excess epoxy to give the shoe a more even appearance. 
I continued to refine the shape and add detailing until the epoxy began feeling crumbly.  At this point, I know it's best to leave things alone.  Once the epoxy sets, I can go back in and finish up with sandpaper.  While I'm at it, I'll also remove those little blobs in the tendon grooves!
I'm pretty pleased with how this is going so far.  Hopefully, I'll be able to finish him up tomorrow and put both my fancy-footed resins into the hands of the United States Postal Service! 

3 comments:

  1. I like Rev's peg legs :-) In general I am much more a fan of pegs than of bases. What do you think of this type of epoxy? How does it compare to gapoxio and Apoxie Sculpt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years and years since I used gapoxio. I remember having a lot of trouble with it, but given the time frame, it's entirely possible that was operator error.

      For most of the last decade, I've used Apoxie Sculpt. I liked it, but every so often, I'd problems with it not setting up. The last tub I had was just impossible. No matter how carefully I measured the parts, I kept getting soft and crumbly epoxy. That was very frustrating so I decided to try the Magic-Sculpt.

      Honestly, I don't find it much different than Apoxie Sculpt. It might be a bit softer, but that could be the difference in colors. Most important to me--so far it's set up properly every time. Yay!

      If you're ever in my neighborhood, you're welcome to try it out!

      Delete
  2. I put pegs in my Cooper's feet too, although doing it after he was painted was a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete