Saturday, December 8, 2012

The horses of Chicago's Grant Park

Wherever I go, I'm always looking for horses.  

Fortunately for me, they aren't usually hard to find.  Even in the heart of Downtown Chicago, Tiffany and I had no trouble finding a whole herd of horses.
At over seventeen feet tall, the first two horses are impossible to miss as they guard the entrance to Chicago's principle downtown park, Grant Park.  The Bowman...
and the Spearman were sculpted by Ivan Mestrovic and installed in 1928.  They were erected to commemorate the Native Americans.
Grant Park's main attraction, Buckingham Fountain, is also horsey.  Dedicated in 1927, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. 
The fountain is drained during the winter months, so I didn't get to see it in all its water filled glory.
Still, I really enjoyed the funky, fishy charm of its many hippocampi!
We found two more Grant Park horses just outside the Field Museum.
The Kelpies, which were created by Andy Scott, are part of Chicago Sculpture International and will be exhibited for one year starting September 2012.  
Of all the Grant Park horses, these are my favorites. 
I especially like the head up Kelpie! 
While researching the statues featured in today's post, I've discovered that we missed that we missed General John Logan's horse.  Darn!  I guess I'll have to schedule another visit to Chicago's Grant Park!

3 comments:

  1. I recognise those Kelpies! :D I'm in Glasgow rather than Falkirk but I'll probably still go to visit them when they've been built. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really liked the Kelpies, and can only imagine how spectacular the full size version will be. You should definitely visit them when they're done. And take pictures!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed this statue tour. They were very rare when I was growing up. They are truly a big city breed. The Kelpies are astonishing. They appear so wet I worry about rust! Hah!

    ReplyDelete