Saturday, December 29, 2012

A horse around the house

When I was a kid, one of my favorite nonfiction horse books was Patricia Jacobson and Marcia Hayes' A Horse Around the House.
The cover describes this as "The Horse-lover's Guide to Selecting,
Caring for,
Housing,
Educating,
Enjoying,
and Getting Along with Every Kind of Horse Anywhere at Minimum Cost."
That might be overselling, but there's no doubt this book combines a lot of solid, practical information with Pat Kelly's delightful illustrations.  Even after all these years, I am happy to have it on my shelf. 

My best friend, Carol, recently moved into a new house with all new--and still kind of empty--shelves.  Last night the boys and I joined her for dinner.
We didn't arrive empty handed.  We brought housewarming gifts...
for both Nate... 
and Carol.
Carol is not a horse person, per se, but I think she was pleased with her gift.  
After all, doesn't everyone need A Horse Around the House? 

4 comments:

  1. YES, everyone needs some sort of horse around the house :) I found that book in a thrift store a few years ago and added it to my shelves...will probably never own a horse but love studying the book just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to trade my basket collection for more horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baskets are nice but horses are better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, horses are much better than baskets!

    ReplyDelete