Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas wishes

My tech savvy children included lots of clickable links in their Christmas lists this year.  Although not explicitly stated, their rationale for doing this was easy to discern--the easier you make it for mom, the more likely you are to get exactly what you want.
I didn't have a computer when I was their age, so most of my Christmas wish lists looked like this:
Or this:
The closest we ever got to internet shopping was the Sears Christmas Wish Book.  
Oh, how I loved the Wish Book's toy pages.  So many great items, and best of all--there were Breyers!  Every year I'd circle the ones I wanted most, taking great pains to make sure my mom was aware of my actions.  Even after the institution of the Breyer Ban, I continued to be optimistic about the possibility of Breyers under the tree.  After all, the Wish Book made purchasing so easy.  How could my mom possibly resist?
Alas, my mom was unrelenting.  No new Breyers meant no exceptions--not even for those listed in the Christmas Wish Book.  If I wanted Christmas horses, I had to buy them myself.  
Will Ryan and James' clickable links strategy meet the same fate as my Wish Book Strategy?    Only time will tell!

9 comments:

  1. it's all on my Amazon list :D

    Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my kids decide that I'm mean tomorrow, I'll be sure to blame it on my upbringing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally did the same with my Breyers, with one key for ones I had, and other for those I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So which kid is into electronics? What a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. My wish list was a lot like yours...either Sears or JCP catalogs or using the box catalogs to let my parents know what I wanted. Hope you had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha!I got NINE books, two breyer horses!!! (1 traditional and 1 classic), a sweatshirt,and some hair stuff.

    You should really consider getting your kids some 39 clues books! Best books ever, adventure, mystery, and for everyone! My dad is 40 and my brother is 8! We all read the 39 clues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, Christmas memories. I barely asked for anything as a kid because I wanted a certain rather big-ticket item every year... that I never got (gee, guess what it was). When I DID ask it was definitely an item in the Sears Wish Book! Our copy would be dog-eared and spilled upon by the middle of December, what with three kids poring and fighting over it. I can't remember if I ever got any Breyers out of it or not, though; they accumulated somehow so maybe so. Used to spend hours with the little foldout catalog, too! Leave it to you to still have some. :-)

    ReplyDelete