Sunday, May 1, 2011

No NAN for me

This was supposed to be the year that I finally got to go to NAN.
That has been the plan ever since the 2011 location was announced.  After all, Arizona is not that far from Colorado.  What could be more fun than a road trip with some of my favorite hobby friends?
I prepared for the big event by attending extra shows in an effort to get all my best horses (and mules) qualified.  When I couldn't find enough performance shows in my area, I sent one horse back to Tiffany anshe qualified it for me.  
I really, really, really wanted to go to Tucson.
The problem is this--I also want to fix our front yard, which has yet to recover from last year's plumbing disaster.   While I'm at it, it would be nice to have a new kitchen floor and a decent couch.  Most of all, I want to go to California.  It's been nearly three years since I've seen my parents.  That is much, much too long.

While there's no doubt that I could find the time and money to make the trip to Arizona, doing so would significantly delay my ability to fix my home and see my parents.  That's a trade off I'm not willing to make.  NAN will have to go on without me.

Sigh.  This whole being a grown up thing is highly overrated!

11 comments:

  1. So, what if you saved your pennies for another year and did Kentucky with us? ;) Bring some tack to sell, and we'll all put together a table in the gallery ;O)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that. It would be sooooo much fun! I haven't been to the Kentucky Horse Park in more than a decade and I've never been there for Breyerfest. Definitely something to work towards!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE sending proxy horses with me. You ARE sending proxy horses with me. You ARE sending proxy horses with me. You ARE sending proxy horses with me.

    And we will miss you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you; I came to the same conclusion for myself and cancelled my registration. Just too much money for one thing when there are so many other things needing it. BUT you are talented and capable, Jennifer, every time you make one saddle make another extra to sell and you'll have enough for next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I had to make the exact same call... The worst part is that I will already be in Oregon during when NAN is! AND I had somebody I could have driven with... I just should not spend the money on it. So I am sending some proxy horses.

    BUT, Mel Tracy and I are all going to NAN/BF in 2012! You should plan on coming that year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Teresa. It's official. I AM sending ten horses with you. Actually it's eight horses, one mule and one donkey but you know what I mean!

    It was really, really hard to let go of my NAN dreams. However, I felt a huge sense of relief as soon as I made the decision. I guess that means I chose correctly?

    I am cautiously optimistic about 2012. Hopefully *that* will be the year I get to go to NAN!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christie ParteeMay 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM

    I also can't swing Tucson. The drive from Texas is too far, and the airfares plus additional baggage are too expensive. But the even better reason not to attend is that my husband will be home on R&R leave from Iraq July 1-15, so I want to be able to spend as much time as possible with him!

    Do a sales table at Kentucky next year, and we will all come buy some of your tack! There are hardly ever any tack vendors, even in the NAN years, so you will definitely have good sales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo! :) I get ponies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two ponies, six horses, one mule and a donkey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd totally come down for Breyerfest to see your tack live!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No going to NAN here either and I could have had a ride down too. Just couldnt justify spending the money when I have other bills that need to be paid. Hope someone has a parade set there though of mine to show off !!! I wish Jane had hers going though :(

    ReplyDelete