Sunday, May 22, 2011

The impossible dream

You wouldn't know it by looking at my collection now, but I used to be one of those people who was absolutely convinced that I'd never be able to afford resins.

That began to change in the early 2000's.  There were a number of reasons behind the shift--the most significant of which was the discovery that some people would actually trade tack for resins.  Much to my own surprise, I found myself the proud owner of a handful of middling resins.

Of course once I had them, I couldn't wait to show them.  I especially couldn't wait to show them at the Crazy Ladies live show--an all resin and custom specialty show held by my friends Regan and Teresa.  It didn't matter that my horses weren't very competitive.  Just being there was victory enough.

One of the stars of that long ago show was Heather Roell's brand new Khan resin named Frank.
I remember oohing and ahhing over Frank's amazing details,
and thinking sadly that I would never own anything that nice. 
But then I remembered that not so long ago I'd thought I'd never be able to afford resins and look how that had turned out!  Anything was possible.  I stopped feeling sorry for myself and vowed that someday I would own something as nice as Frank.
And now, all these years later, I don't just own something like Frank--I actually own Frank himself!  It's hard to believe, but sometimes even the most impossible dreams do come true!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! So cool - I have to admit, that's about where I'm at right now - I want resins, but I can't see myself being able to afford them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring...I must admit to feeling the same way about affording enough tack to quench the performance bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so many years ago I figured I could NEVER afford nice tack ($100 for a saddle seemed like a lot of money, lol) and I could also NEVER afford resins because they are just so expensive. Now I am a performance a tack junkie (though not the extreme of some people I know, lol) and my resin collection is small but respectable. People that like trading and people that take time payments are both wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on this. I would not have the collection of resins or tack that I have now if people were not willing to trade!

    Lovely Khan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, I've only just got myself a decent sized mini resin (Deb McDermott's new Hanovarian who I'd DEFINITELY recommend by the way! ;)) but yeah, I never thought I'd get any either. XD
    Gorgeous horse - I love Tekes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOHOO for Frank!!!

    I still say Heather's gonna be shocked when she sees him on the show table :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Frank! I remember seeing him on Blab all the time... :D I'm glad you've got him! He's such a pretty horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Frank's third Colorado owner. I halfway expect everyone to roll their eyes and say "Not him AGAIN!" when I unpack him Saturday!

    No matter. I'm just glad he's mine.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This guy is so nice! Love the detail on his markings!

    ReplyDelete