Saturday, May 21, 2011

Derby do-over

For the first time in more than a decade, I didn't watch the Kentucky Derby this year.  I wanted to, but I was busy with a wedding, a wedding reception and a long drive home.  

Because of that, today wasn't so much Preakness Day as it was Derby Do-Over Day.  I camped out in front of the tv with a piece of Kentucky Derby pie...
and tried to cheer Animal Kingdom to victory.  He didn't quite make it, but somehow that seemed appropriate for my Derby day theme.  After all, I don't have the best track record when it comes to picking Derby winners!
I also finished  my Kirsteen Haley kit saddle.  
The stirrups for this saddle became another do-over when I realized the pair I'd bought from the World of Model Horse Collecting weren't quite the right size.  Fortunately, it wasn't too difficult to make a new pair from scratch.
Close up of the tooling.  This saddle is so dark, that it's easy to miss Kirtseen's lovely handiwork.
There may not be a Triple Crown winner, but all in all, it's been a good day!

2 comments:

  1. I too was cheering Animal Kingdom on down the stretch. It really looked like he was going to get there at one point, but Shackleford is another very talented horse.

    That saddle looks wonderful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely saddle! I really like the dark finish... it's nice. :D

    ReplyDelete