Sunday, October 16, 2016

Harry and Snowman

Yesterday evening, Carol and I drove out to the Colorado Horse Park in Parker, Colorado to watch a special screening of the movie, Harry and Snowman.
The screen was placed in the middle of one of the show rings, with "bring your own" seating on the grassy hill.
We arrived early to secure a good seat. At the time, this seemed like a really good plan. 
Once our chairs were in place, we did a little shopping.
Dover had a booth with lots of Snowman books and Breyers and also some fancy free desserts. Thanks, Dover!
Shopping was followed by a little dogspotting.
Then we headed back to our seats in preparation for the five fifteen start time.
Five fifteen came and went. Then five thirty, five forty five and six. The sun behind the screen was blinding.
We headed back to the vendor area to buy caps. This helped a little. Not enough.
Finally, at six twenty, the sun dipped below the horizon and the movie began!
I'm a long time show jumping fan girl, so I've read The Eighty Dollar Champion and am quite familiar with the story of Harry DeLeyer and his horse, Snowman. The movie held no surprises, but that in no way detracted from my enjoyment of it.
I especially liked all the old show jumping footage, and the cameos by George Morris...
and Rodney Jenkins.
Despite the long wait, this was an extremely nice way to spend an evening. I hope movies at the Horse Park become a regular thing.
I also hope that everyone supports Harry and Snowman. This is a really good, grown up horse movie. We need more like this!

4 comments:

  1. I had heard about this movie. Delighted to get the review! (And I already have the horse.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled to hear the review of the movie. It's playing near me and I hope to get out to it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll get a chance to catch it on a big screen but I'm still looking forward to seeing it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get the movie, and the horse!

    I have the book and have read it multiple times!

    ReplyDelete