Thursday, October 27, 2016

Fall break

The kids are on Fall Break this week.

James and I planned to go riding today. I was really looking forward to this, but Santana turned up a little ouchy. 

"No big deal," I thought. "James isn't that into riding. I'll go out with Mary Jo instead."

Then James asked to go hiking.

At first, this didn't thrill me. I like hiking and I like doing things with James, but I really, really, really wanted to go riding.

And yet.

It is Fall Break and he is my kid and we don't do enough things together.

I told Mary Jo I couldn't make it, and James and I made plans to go hiking.

This morning we got up semi-bright and semi-early and headed to Kenlyn, not to ride but...
to give Sprite her noms. 
While she was eating... 
we checked in with her neigh-bors (James' joke, not mine). 
James snapped a few photos of Delilah for his friends. 
"Yep, that'll do!" 
Then we got back in the car and headed toward the mountains.
Our destination was the Buffalo Trail in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. 
 We hiked through trees...
and an old ghost town. 
Although part of me still wanted to be riding...
it was impossible not to enjoy the company of this kid... 
and the magnificence... 
of this scenery. 
James did give me a few minor heart attacks with his insistence of climbing on everything.
Yeah. 
Still, I had a really great time hanging out with him today. 
I'm so glad we went hiking together, but tomorrow? Yeah, I'm riding.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that scenery! <3
    I had to laugh at James climbing everything though, there's a bit of mountain goat in him somewhere I reckon! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought he was half monkey, from his Dad's side of course!

      ;)

      Delete