Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The great indoors

When I lived in Memphis, it was easy to get well-lit outside show photos.
It's a lot harder in Denver. The light is brighter and harsher here. Plus, it's often windy. Because I am persistent, I've managed to take a few good outside pictures, but more often than not, my photo sessions end up with deletes and frustration.
Indoor photography is another matter. The sunshine which is overwhelming outside, is just about perfect when filtered through my dining room window. 
I've often wished that photo showing clubs like MEPSA were more accepting of a plain white background, because this is easy in Colorado.
Last August, Nichelle Jones wrote a blog post about building an indoor arena backdrop. It occurred to me that this might be the solution to my photo showing problems. I started collecting bits and pieces for my own indoor arena...
but I didn't put them together until yesterday. 
Here's the first real performance photo taken with my new backdrop. I am very pleased.
Although I haven't given up on outside photography entirely, I am delighted to have a good indoor alternative. I am looking forward to taking lots and lots and lots of indoor photos in my indoor arena this year!

26 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to see 'behind the scenes' and see how much space something like this takes up.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike the barns, this really doesn't take up much room. The white arena wall and the wood fence store flat up against a wall. The footing is Kinetic sand which goes in a plastic tub between uses. It sets up and breaks down quite quickly, too.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this! It'll be perfect for performance scenes and the showing off of newbies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you make it? How much room does it take up? How did you make the cloud of dust for the Arabian costume horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dust cloud looks like it might be wool

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love it! I need to steal a couple of those photos of that costume... never did get any for my site. I'm so pleased you have that doll now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That corrugated metal texture is lovely! It's certainly a material you see in a lot of indoor arenas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to make some backdrops myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to make some backdrops myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new backdrop! The photo of Rev is especially stunning as it seems so real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did you use for the white ridged metal? I've looked on a ton of doll-house sites and could never find anything that looked right.

    LM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "metal" is actually corrugated scrapbook paper. That was a good find!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing; I will have to keep my eyes open for that. I never knew there was such a thing.

      LM

      Delete
  10. Your arena is lovely.

    You should get Rev some tack. He looks like he would be a fun performance model.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! Thanks for sharing. I need to get something set up to take pictures. My biggest struggle seems to be bad lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the miniature signs. I need to get my stuff in order to start doing photos again. All these wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Living near Memphis does have great lighting. I have never tried indoor photography but after looking at your awesome results would love to try it. Still love my outdoor photography though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *loved* the light in Memphis! It's one of the many things I miss about living in Tennessee.

      Delete
  14. I love the backdrop! I would probably make one for myself, but unfortunately where I live it's almost impossible to have nice indoor lighting. About the only time when we have sunlight enter the house is in the late afternoon in summer. ~ Shanly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I was wondering if you do tack critiques? I understand if you don't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends. I sometimes do private critiques for beginning tack makers, but I prefer not to critique tack that's being offered for sale on MH$P.

      Delete
  16. That backdrop is amazing! And Rev is definitely my favourite out of all your stunning models, he is just perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I seriously found a bunch of colourful corrugated scrapbook paper among my scrapbooking stuff when cleaning up my room at uni! Never thought of using it for a backdrop, I think I'll need to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me want to pull out my camera and give it a shot again. At least we don't have to use film and wait to see the results like when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete