Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Grasping at straws

Several people asked about the straw in my new barn. Where did I get it? What is it made from?
 
Here's the answer: manila file folders! 
This the ultimate cheap and easy prop. Simply cut the folder into smaller pieces, then cut those pieces into tiny strips.  
This is a slow, tedious task, but if you stick with it, you will have enough straw to properly bank your stalls.
Hay can be made in the same way, just be sure to paint your manila folders an appropriate shade of green...
before cutting them to pieces.
Happy shredding, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Dear god that looks so tedious! Sounds like a good craft to do while watching tv though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really tedious but looks great.

    Do you think that if I cut it the other way too it would work for shavings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a great idea! ..I have no idea what manila folder is, though.. I suppose any kind of stiff-ish brown paper will do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe seen this on Youtube, its a great way to get shavings without worrying about insects going to live in there hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe seen this on Youtube, its a great way to get shavings without worrying about insects going to live in there hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I am going to be raiding the recycling bin at work for manila folders! Woo HOO! Thanks for the brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would have guessed that's what it was. I was really thinking it was dried grass or something. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can find scale grass etc. at model railroad shops also. I have made straw and hay from hemp rope. You should be able to find it at a lumber yard for free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never would have guessed that it was shredded manila folders. Very clever, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea.. I come back to your blog every so often, and am always so happy to find great information I can apply to my own hobby craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just re set up my barn. love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete