Sunday, January 31, 2016

Danielle and Janna's barns

I'm not the only hobbyist with a passion for little barns. 

Ever since I posted photos of my two new barns, my Facebook feed has been filled with model barn talk. Several of these posts have included a #blameJennifer hashtag, which is fine by me. I love this side of the hobby, and I am delighted to inspire other collectors to create their own 1:9 scale worlds. 

That said, I really can't claim any credit. Little barns are not a new phenomenon. In fact, I suspect they've been a part of the hobby as long as there's been a hobby. 

What is new, at least for me, is the realization that readily available, mass produced barns can be amazing. I've wanted a nice model barn for years, but I always assumed it would have to be a custom job. I didn't think toy barns would be big or realistic enough to meet my standards.

Then I saw Danielle Hart's barns.
I was blown away when I saw these photos. Her barns looked so realistic I assumed they were custom made.
Imagine my surprise when Danielle told me that they were actually Breyer barns that she'd bought second hand and refurbished.
"I could do that," I thought.
A couple months later, Janna Shepherd posted photos of her new model barns on Facebook.
Again, I thought they were custom made. Again, I was wrong. Both of these barns are available on Amazon.
It was at this point that "I could do that" turned into "I will do that." I began looking for used barns on craiglist, and the rest is history.

Thanks so much to Danielle and Janna for the inspiration. I hope people will continue to tag me on their model barn Facebook posts, but perhaps the #blameJennifer hashtag should be changed to one that says #creditDanielleandJanna?

25 comments:

  1. Now I'm tempted to go get my barns set up again. And maybe make a tack room/ feed room and a little lounge area. I have tiny ikea furniture to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I covet your tiny Ikea furniture even though I haven't seen it.

      Delete
  2. SO beautiful!! Now, if only they came in smaller sizes...

    P.S. love the models and tack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my barns. They used to have permanent residence in the game room of my house, complete with tack rooms, wash stalls, pastures, and arenas. They have since all been moved into storage but I may just want to pull them back out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, What gorgeous barns!
    I think I'm gonna need a bigger house just to hold all the great hobby extras in addition to the model horses! *VBG*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realized I needed a barn until now.
    For whatever reason, when I was small, the model horse accessory I wanted the most was a truck and trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a sprawling, one-level very primitive barn for my horses when I was a kid. Today's barns sure have improved!! but the desire for one seems to be eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warning: Once you buy a barn you are going to get obsessed with it. Then one night you WILL end up on your back stapling lights on it. But you will never regret it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the process of touching up one of my barns. I'm thinking white interior with stained wood beams, and then cape cod blue with white accents for the outside. I'm also hoping I can find some black yoga mat scraps at Lens Mills - then I can have stall mats and padded lower walls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to need stall mats for mine.

      I still have to find something to use for shavings. I was thinking lightly colored skiver dust.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking the answer is to chop down some real shavings. You can buy a small bag cheaply at the pet store.

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea. Or maybe since I won't need very many, I could get a ziplock of them from the barn.

      Delete
  9. Love these photos!
    I have a barn that my grandfather made for me when I was younger (it's unfortunately a tad too small to fit the traditionals but I love it!) but I would love to have one to fit the traditionals :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look lovely.....plus seeing what all you gals have done to mimick barn settings.....and have done this so well. Looks like fun....might have to dip my toes in......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love being inspired and seeing others inspired as well - it is one one the best feelings!
    I would like to give a shout out to you, Jennifer, for inspiring so many of us in the hobby, as well as giving me to courage to try new things (like tack making) and to believe that one day I would be able to make nice tack. Your candid words of wisdom and encouragement speak wonders! We all love your blog and fun and amazing photos!
    Thank you for all of your inspiration!
    -O. Leviton

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is so refreshing to see the miniature world of model horses come back to life. I love seeing stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have room for a barn but I am really hoping someone wants to add on to their barns and needs a room for dolls to relax in. I NEED to make a mini refrigerator. I might just make one anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want a riders' lounge, complete with fridge and mini barn set up. I think I might have to wait until my kids grown up and move out to have enough room, though!

      :D

      Delete
    2. I really want a riders' lounge, complete with fridge and mini barn set up. I think I might have to wait until my kids grown up and move out to have enough room, though!

      :D

      Delete
  14. Maybe it's time to pull out my old barn and refurbish it a little... It's in really good shape, so I don't see myself repainting it, but I may try to decorate a little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all so cool...

    *adds "design and build a barn" to already impossibly long list of creative projects* :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same Breyer barn. I wish I was brave enough to paint them. They are pretty boring straight out of the box!

    ReplyDelete