Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wishing and hoping

I was watching one of those Belmont Classics shows a couple nights ago.  James wandered into the studio as the field of the 2004 race swept around the final turn.  Smarty Jones was in front and just for a moment I believed that maybe this time he would win.

He didn't.  
AP Photo/Frank Franklin II
I sighed and said, "That race made me cry."

James asked, "Are you going to cry if California Chrome loses?"

"I don't know," I said, "but I'll definitely cry if he wins."

Naturally, that led to a discussion of Belmonts that still have the poser to make me cry, but in a good way.  We logged onto YouTube and watched Affirmed and Alydar...
AP Photo/Perez
and Secretariat.  
 Bob Coglianese—MCT/Landov
James was really impressed with Secretariat.  "I want to see California Chrome do that!" He exclaimed. 

I laughed and said, "Don't we all?"

But truthfully? I don't care about the winning margin.  I just want him to win.  Thirty one lengths or a short head, it's all the same to me.  
AP Photo/Garry Jones
In approximately five hours, California Chrome will enter the Belmont starting gate with the wishes and hopes of a million little--and not so little--horse girls riding on his back.  I don't know what will happen, but I'll be sure to have a box of Kleenex on hand.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was so excited about potentially seeing my first triple crown this year so I painted a portrait model of California Chrome and made some simple tack for him! Would you like to see? Thanks for the fun post "Wishing and Hoping" I will gladly send you pictures of my Chrome if you'd like!!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I am glad he didn't win. Horses like Secretariat and Slew come along once in a lifetime and I like to keep it that way. Secretariat was as special as they came.

    If Chrome had won I'd have been happy for an "underdog" story but down deep I am glad he didn't.

    ReplyDelete