Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My brother Tom

When people ask me about my family, I usually say that I'm the second of three sisters.  

That's true, but incomplete.   In addition to my sisters I also have two half brothers, Tom and Jim.  They are quite a bit older than me, and we weren't raised together, but they are my brothers, nonetheless.
Tom, Jim and Colleen Bray
My brother Tom died in his sleep early yesterday morning.  
Photo collage by Beth Bordin Lambden
Tom was a Vietnam veteran and a devoted husband, father and grandfather.  He taught high school science, coached robotics and touched the lives of several generations of students.
Two Tom Brays

When we got together, which--sadly--wasn't very often, Tom and I mostly talked about horses (Tom had done some team roping in his youth) and photography.  Unfortunately, because we both preferred to be behind the camera instead of in front of it, I haven't been able to find a single picture of the two of us.

The last time I saw Tom was at my father's eightieth birthday party.  
I was really busy with party related things, so we didn't visit much.  However, Tom and Ryan had a great time talking robots and playing with Tom's (really nice) camera.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked over and saw my destructive eight year old holding that camera.  I made a comment to that effect, and Tom said, "Stop worrying, Mom.  It's going to be okay."

And it was.
Godspeed, Tom.  Thank you for being my brother.

10 comments:

  1. This is lovely tribute to him; your brother sounds like he was a wonderful man. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though nothing can make you feel 100% again, or replace him, I'm really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry!! Hugs and prayers to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to you! I'm very sorry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your loss. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad he didn't suffer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im so sorry...I wish you could have seen him more!

    ReplyDelete