Thursday, June 12, 2014

Think pink

I know it's hard to believe, but there was a time when I didn't make brightly colored tack.  Everything was dark brown or black or tan.  If there had to be an accent color, it was something dark and conservative like hunter green or burgundy.

Then I met Tiffany Purdy, and my whole world turned pink!

I made pink halters,
pink bridles,
even a pink Western saddle!
Over the years I've joked about making a pink English saddle, but in my experience, real life pink English saddles look really, really cheap.  I may be okay with pink, but cheap?  Not so much.

That changed earlier this year when photos of this pink and black Devoucoux started making the rounds.  I took one look and thought, "I could do that!"
Photo by Stacey Kimmel/Behind the Bit
So I did.
Obviously, this is not an exact copy.  The flap is simplified, and I rearranged the distribution of the pink.  
Still, I think it works. 
In fact, I'm surprised at how much I like this set.  I might even have to make a pink English saddle for myself, because once you start thinking pink it's impossible to stop!  

9 comments:

  1. Tiffany isn't the only pinkaholic.... I adore this saddle! Awesome work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to get the opinion of another tackmaker about addictions such as this. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a pink and black tack set. Kind of a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool! What did you use for pink dye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used RIT fabric dye from the craft store.

      Delete
  5. Such a cute saddle! And I usually do not like pink at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another pink nut here. Love it!

    ReplyDelete