Sunday, February 19, 2012

Slow endings

The harnesses are very nearly finished.  All the major pieces are complete, a;ll that's left is the nit-picking stage.  This is where I tack up the models and check every strap for proper fit, excess glue, rough edges and the like.  
It seems as though I've been working on these harnesses forever.  I would love to skip the nit-picking stage and declare them finished.  After all, I've spent a lot of time on each and every strap.  I don't expect much in the way of fit and construction issues...

Still, that's not the way I roll.  I want these harnesses to be as perfect as I can make them, so I will persevere.  Tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. The nitpick stuff is what makes a good piece excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah, I know... I never send anything out without trying it on one last time. I'm always tempted, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Teresa. Nit-picking makes a good piece perfect. Where do you get the clinchers for the browband, or all the extra pieces for the bridle (buckles, sliding clasps). Rio Rondo? Or do you have to make some of those pieces yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I've always wondered- why are driving reins a different color than the rest of the harness? I know it's correct, I just don't know the reason. Is it to make them more visible?

    ~Mara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harness lines (reins) are traditionally russet in color. because black leather can stain the driver's gloves or clothing. When I was at the miniature horse show last summer I noticed several harnesses that had lines that were black from the bit to the rump and then russet from the rump to the driver's hands. I liked that look and will probably try it on a model sized harness someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The harness you made for me is the most perfect thing...Keep being nit picky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. zikzik-

    wow what a pretty bridle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks GREAT!!!!!! Well Done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love how real your tack looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So when you are not completely burned out on harnesses, sometime in the future, I need to have you make one for me, fine harness with a side check, for Arabian Country Pleasure Harness.

    ReplyDelete