Monday, February 27, 2012

Iguanas under saddle

It seems that every time I post photos of the saddle rats, someone says she's going to saddle up her cat/rabbit/guinea pig/lizard/other completely unhorselike critter.  No one ever does it, though...

Until now!

Today's photos come from tackmaker Cory Sanford and they feature her saddle iguanas, Moose and the Baby.  Cory describes Moose aka the Moo this way:  The slightly bigger, older and greener of the two.  He is so gentle and relaxed all the time so he actually let me slightly tighten the girth on him!  He is such a good boy.  He crawls up in my lap while I am doing things, such as making tack, and puts his hands on my hands to get some attention.
The Baby is the younger, bratty, orange one.  He thinks humans are far beneath him and wouldn't tolerate my human ignorance long enough to allow a girth...definitely the bratty one. ;)  He gets to hear "No!" a lot.  You might also notice that of of the two he is an "easy keeper!"  We are always joking about his "thickness" which the lady iguanas would find very handsome.
Cory adds:  I hope you got a kick out of this and can share it with your readers for some fun.  My iguanas are both pretty spoiled and especially the Moo will tolerate being tacked up so look for lots more iguanas under saddle pics in the future.  I think we will try a halter next! 

Ok, Cory--you're committed now.  I expect lots more photos of both the saddle iguanas and your amazing tack.
P.S. Be sure to check out the Western bridle/breastcollar/halter set Cory has for sale on MH$P.  Lovely work, Cory!

27 comments:

  1. I should probably try a saddle on one of my tortoises sometime (when they come out of their box in the fridge for hibernation, that is...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moo looks so regal with that dressage saddle on!
    I will rely on others to send in their silly pictures- I have two photogenic kitties, but they would both eat a stablemate saddle in about 2 seconds. They not safe saddle cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last, someone crazier than you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL.....snicker....LOL....

    Giggling so hard it is difficult to type.....

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love the look of Moo in the first picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I just inhaled a Cheerio laughing. Awesome photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That`s awesome! I couldn`t believe my eyes and didn`t expect that iguanas would be so "tack friendly". Can`t wait to see more funny animals with tack!

    Best wishes from Germany, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our cats are too big for saddles.....wonder if I could convince my bird to stay still long enough to try it on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHMYGOODNESS! LOL

    I'm NOT a fan of Iguanas - that skin, but this was cool for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea iguanas were so patient!

    I could take pictures of miniature tack on my HORSE, but that would be far too normal. :)

    ~Emily Dunnan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am I the only one who has imagined herself sitting atop a saddle iguana?

    I learned to ride huntseat and tend to lean forward in the saddle. It's been a bit of a challenge adjusting my position for dressage, but I think that I would be a lot more motivated if I was riding the Moo. Just look at those spikes! I'd be like, "Holy crap, I don't want a face full of that!"

    I have actually put a model sized saddle on Trillium. You can see pictures of that here.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my 10 lb. rabbit is too big to be a saddle bun otherwise I'd be very tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What handsome, talented Iguanas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely thought that first picture was photoshopped... no WAY can there actually be iguanas out there who could pull off a dressage saddle with such ease... But they're real. Amazing! Very cute. I'm fairly certain my guinea pig would eat the leather before I could snap a picture. But he has Basil-like aspirations, at heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. BAHAHA! Now that is definitely something I haven't seen before!!! I never though an Iguana would look so good in dressage!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am I the only one who thought Moo had two heads? I had to google images of iguanas to realize what I was really seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't help but laugh along with you all! They are very funny guanyas! I guess I will have to get to work on more tack photos right away! I wouldn't want to disappoint :)

    As for my tack, I really and truly owe my success to Jennifer's tack tips...seriously, your hints and tips are the bomb! I am still very, very grateful for the compliments though.

    I hope you all have an EXTRAORDINARY day!

    ~Cory Sanford

    (P.S. The spikes aren't so bad, it's something extra to hold on to, like handles!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable iguana. He reminds me of the horse-sized lizard Obi-Wan Kenobi rode in Star Wars III.

    ~Mara

    ReplyDelete
  19. O NO! First Rats not Igunas! (spelling?) What do I have to compete with...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too funny! I may have a saddle chicken at some point in the future, as that's the only one of my animals who would tolerate it! I have reptiles (1 bearded dragon and 1 leopard gecko), but their build is just *all* wrong for carrying a saddle. Which is just too sad.

    At least I can play Ant Smasher on the iPhone with my bearded dragon. I bet your saddle animals can't do that, now can they? That's right.

    PS: I'm not jealous. No. Not in the least.

    PPS: Okay maybe a little.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, I have threatened this too, but now I have to saddle up a Leopard Gecko!!! I'll send some pics to you when I get it done. Maybe tomorrow!!! Love the saddle Iggy's.
    JO k

    ReplyDelete
  22. My family was quite amused by the pics! I can't wait for others to send in saddle ________ (fill in the blank with an animal!) pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. omi gosh! Hehe what lizard-like horses you have there!
    -jess Grimes

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where can i get a Saddle like this, i want one for my beardy!

    ReplyDelete