Friday, February 10, 2012

Hobby Lobby

Ryan has been sick.

I made him go to school on Wednesday because I'm mean like that.  His condition did not improve, so yesterday I let him stay home.  That was a good decision.  He spent the entire day wrapped up in a blanket on the couch.
This morning he woke up congested and coughing so I kept him home again.  That turned out to be a mistake.  By midday he was bright eyed and full of energy.    I probably should have driven him to school, but instead I took him to Hobby Lobby.
I had three items on my shopping list and a forty percent off coupon in my pocket.
Although I'm not usually much of a shopper, I can spend hours at Hobby Lobby.
Temptation is everywhere... 
and nearly every aisle contains something that might be useful to me in my hobby endeavors.
It doesn't matter that I have all the model sized rope halters I will ever need, if I bought this floss I could make more!
Ryan is not a tackmaker, but he also had no problem finding things to covet.
Keep dreaming, kiddo! 
Sadly for both of us, the Buxton family budget is pretty tight these days.  I was forced to limit our purchases to just the three items on my list, the first of which was glue.
Ryan was dazzled by the wide variety of glues for sale...
but I had eyes for only one kind--Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue.
Next on our list was Testor's Dull-Cote.  Or perhaps I should say, the item formerly known as Testor's Dull cote.  The new label reads Spray Laquer Clear Coat. 
Last but not least, we headed over to the K&S metal display...
where I selected a new sheet of thin tin.  This is what I use to make buckle rollers.
I'm pretty proud of us for resisting temptation and only buying the things we needed.  Still, part of me wishes I had bent the rules just a little bit and bought these pink bead scoops.
Because, you know, the littlest one would make a perfect feed scoop for the model sized stable that I'm going to build myself someday...

12 comments:

  1. I wish I lived in America! I am going to Florida this year so I might find something crafty!!! Have you or anyone tried the Fiskars swivel knife? as I have seen it on the web but have never tried it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I miss Hobby Lobby. The closest one is two and a half hours away in New York. ;.;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have *not* tried the Fiskars swivel knife, and it tempts me each and every time I see it hanging there on the shelf. The thing that stops me is this: I already have an X-acto mini swivel and also the stencil knife that Erin Corbett uses for carving. I think my tooling would benefit more from practice than it would from a new knife.

    (Still, I'll probably cave in and buy it eventually.)

    I am spoiled in that my house is less than five miles from three large craft stores--Hobby Lobby, Michael's and JoAnn's Fabrics. I'm sure I could buy everything I need online, but it's so much more fun to shop in a brick and mortar store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Ryan is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Ryan's illness is anything more than a bad cold, but that can be pretty miserable. He's not quite as cheerful now as he was earlier. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's back on the couch. Poor kid! At least he has the whole weekend to rest up and get healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Done for resisting temptation!!! its a heck of a lot better than I would have done!! I'm fairly certain there would have been quite a few extra unneeded-but-could-be-useful items find their way into the basket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of the thick Tacky glue too but my new real favorite is Aleene's Clear Gel tacky glue. I'm using it like fray-check on satin ribbon now and IT DOESN"T SOAK THROUGH! HUZZAH!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky, having these craft stores near you! I like shopping in this kind of shop too! We have two smaller shops in our area too but they are more specialized on arts stuff like paints and brushes and so on....
    Say hi to Ryan, hopefully he will be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't let me loose in there! I went to the UK this summer, so that means Hobbycraft. My mum had to pull me out after a few hours. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw those bead scoops in my Hobby Lobby and thought the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like you to know that the company I work for is responsible for making sure all the Hobby Lobbies in the US get their utility bills paid. You are welcome. ;-)

    That said, I DO have one, but it's 25 minutes away. JoAnn is about 15 minutes, and Michaels is 10, so I do most of my craft supply hunting there. But yes, one can certainly wander for HOURS in any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah, I love places like this. We don't have Hobby Lobby over here but Hobbycraft...which. now that I think about it, is probably the same thing. XD
    They're far too tempting to be allowed! Too many wonderful things...

    ReplyDelete