Sunday, February 12, 2012

Little horse on the prairie

I usually ride Trillium once or twice a week, but lately life hasn't been cooperating.  Between sick kids and the weather, nearly two weeks have passed since my last trip to Big Iron Ranch.  I was lamenting that fact this morning, and Seth surprised me by offering to accompany me on a pony visit.  

Trillium lives out on on the prairie some twenty miles east of Denver.  It's a sparsely populated area, and the snow and cold made the drive seem extra desolate today. 
Usually this is a mountain view. 
Brrr.  
Seth is not a horseman.  When I met him, he'd never even sat on a horse.  I rectified that situation a long time ago, but he's still not one hundred percent comfortable around them.  Today I think he would have been just as happy to have visited the horses from the other side of the fence. 
Still,  he's been paying for Trilli's hay for the last five months.  I figured a more personal introduction was required.
I had just enough time to snap a few photos... 
before Samson got a bit too pushy for Seth's comfort. 
I lingered a bit, enjoying Trillium's company.
Eventually, however, I was as frozen as the water in Trilli's trough. 
The National Weather Service is predicting a cold and snowy week so I'm not sure when I'll be able to ride Trillium again.  That's ok.  Today's pony visit did me a world of good.  Sometimes hanging out with her is enough.  She's that kind of pony.

4 comments:

  1. Hanging out w/ your husband is #2? I've known for a long time that Seth is really "special", but his thoughtfullness is even better when it surprizes you, isn't it?

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trillium and Samson are both GORGEOUS. Samson actually looks like he would be a lot of fun to model a horse after (coat-color-wise). Have you ever made models based on horses you own or know in real life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I remember introducing my boyfriend to my horse this past summer. He'd never really been around horses and was a bit apprehensive. Fortunately, I have a Paint who loves everyone. It's just... my horse has the unfortunate habit of using people as kleenex when he sneezes. Yeah, I came around the corner of the barn just in time to see Alex get completely coated in snot. So much for that white t-shirt... I knew the boyfriend was a keeper when he just looked down at his shirt, sighed, and kept feeding Ringo carrots.

    ~Mara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss that fuzzy palomino face on this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete