Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Charro trio

I spent most of last January thinking about Charro saddles. I researched them online and in books. I attended a Mexican Rodeo. Then when I was reasonably sure I knew what I was doing, I designed and built a pair of traditional scale Charro saddles. They turned out well , and I moved on to other, more familiar projects. Still, I never really stopped thinking about Charro saddles.

This should explain why I was positively giddy to see not one, not two but three Charro saddles on display at Brian Lebel's Old West Show and Auction last weekend. After all that research, it was wonderful to finally get a close up look at the real thing! Here are just a few of the many pictures I took.

This elaborately decorated modern saddle was priced at $18,000.
Top view.
Horn.
Saddlebags.
Matching bridle.
This is the second Charro saddle. Its tag read: Ultra Fancy Charro Saddle. Silver-inlay work with amazing pitiado-work. Machete, fancy headstall, breastcollar, hobbles and quirt. Ca 1940's. $5,500.
Close up of the horn.
Saddlebags.
Pitiado detail.
The third Charro saddle was part of the auction. This is how it was described in the auction catalog: 1920's Mexican Saddle with Sword. Maker-marked El Caballo Mexicano Talabarteria Santos Burcon HNOS p Suarez 27, Mexico DC, very decorative Mexican saddle traditional exposed rawhide tree. Leather embroidered with floral pitiado (cactus fiber) and adorned with classic Mexican sterling repousse horn featuring the National Eagle and snake symbol, plus inlaid silver cinch rings, two-piece iron conchos and stirrups. Includes period Mexican sword and scabbard.
This saddle sold for $2,750 (a bargain!).
Round skirts and no saddlebags.
Stirrup leathers.
You know, I could look at these lovely saddles all day. I think it will be a long time before I truly stop thinking about Charro saddles!

5 comments:

  1. Is the rawhide tree made of wood or something and covered with rawhide? I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is made of wood and then covered with rawhide. This is still a very common method of tree construction. Here's a website that illustrates the process: http://www.freckerssaddlery.com/saddle_tree.php

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely examples of Charro saddles. I really love the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice antique saddle...

    The store “EL caballo Mexicano” still exist, I invite you to post some pictures of this antique saddle here:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/927225@N20/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for some one that can make a specific saddle for me. We have one already and need another to match it as close as possible. it is a Charro Saddle the company we purchased it from seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet. it was miroequestrian. If you know how we can reach them that would be awesome other wise we need to either get the saddle they sent to us remade some how in the correct size or we need to start over and try to reacreate it. I can send pictures please email me at partyponies@mtaonline.net. my name is Amanda

    ReplyDelete