Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June gloom

I can't believe it's June.

More to the point, I'm not ready for it to be June. June means summer and summer vacation and diminished personal time and OMG, I haven't even started my NAN Auction donation set-- how can it possibly be June?!?

Ok, Jennifer, don't panic. The kids are in school for one more week. If I work really hard, that might be enough time to get the NAN set done. My friend, Jane Schneider and I are making a "Just Add Horse" mounted police/riot gear set. Jane is dressing the doll, while I am concentrating on the tack. This is a sketch of the type of saddle I want to build.It's basically an All-Purpose English saddle, so this morning I went through my old saddle patterns looking for pieces similar to what I wanted to make. I ended up choosing a dressage saddle seat and an event saddle flap, both of which were modified to work together.
It took me two tries to make a satisfactory padded seat...
but the flaps came out fine on the first go.
In truth, this isn't as far along as it looks in the picture. There's a lot of work left to do. Still, any progress is good progress. If I can get this much done today, I can probably do the same tomorrow and then again the day after that... After all, it's only the first of June. There's still plenty of time, right?

7 comments:

  1. You can do it! :) (I think of the Adam Sandler movies when I hear that line..) But I know you can get 'er done in time. :) No worries! It is already looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got the entire SADDLE done in one day, and now you're worried about finishing the rest? I don't think you have much to worry about! :) You'll have it done by the end of the week, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's not nearly as one as it looks in the picture. I still have at least another day on the saddle, and then it's on to the girth, two bridles (one with a riot mask, one without), boots, breastplate, saddlebags... I think (hope!) Jane is making the saddlepad, but still, there's a lot of work left to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make the pad :-) Officer Joe is close to done, I've been under the weather but will be back to work soon. The saddle looks great! I Breyer guy will sit in it ok, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there will be a problem with Officer Joe fitting the saddle. I'll bring it out to your house after it's done and we can doublecheck, plus you can get all the measurements you need for the pad. Sound good?

    I wish I had taken photos of Officer Joe at DKL. He's looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me! I'd love to have you come over :-)

    Officer Joe will look better when he has a head...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I love it - headless Officer Joe! I'm SOOOO glad I missed his headlessness. I don't do well with missing body parts...

    ReplyDelete