Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sad

This isn't the post I had planned for today, but in light of yesterday's sad news the other one seems really inconsequential...
I didn't know Kathy McKenzie but I certainly knew of her. I'd seen her wonderful finishwork and had heard of her generosity in donating to any and all hobby causes. I also knew a bit about her personal life. I knew she was roughly my age and lived in my husband's hometown of Overland Park, Kansas. Like me, she was a lifelong horse lover and artist. I expect that had we met, we'd have gotten along just fine. It makes me very sad that meeting will never take place.
Even though I didn't know Kathy McKenzie, her death feels personal. The hobby is a much sadder place today.

9 comments:

  1. Very well stated. I didn't know her either but I can see from the outpouring of feeling here, on Facebook and Blab that she brought a lot of happiness to many people. We're a very close knit group, this hobby, and the hole her passing leaves is felt far and wide. It's so sad to know that while she brought sunshine to so many she had very little herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting that article, I enjoyed it very much. I too am mourning the passing of Kathy, although I never met her I feel a connection as a fellow artist and collector. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very sad. I have often seen her beautiful work, what a loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our hobby is like a family. The loss of one is felt by all. May her soul finally find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was shocked to learn of Kathy's passing and while I didn't know her personally I will miss her and all the beutiful pieces she painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She painted horses so good! I well miss her and her model horse painting :(

    Trying not to be rude but why did she die?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no easy way to say this, Sarah. Kathy took her own life. I don't think anyone can ever really know why she did it, but it's clear that she struggled with depression for a very long time. My heart goes out to her husband, her brother and all of her friends. She will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was shocked because although I don't know her, and I'm new to the hobby, I had just bookmarked her page about 2 days ago and spent a lot of time looking at it. She was very talented and her death is a tragic loss to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I hadn't heard but I've always kept a close eye on all her work :(

    ReplyDelete