Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Show me your studio, part two

Not everyone is lucky enough to have an entire room dedicated to their hobby endeavors. A lot of people make due with a lot less space. Today's studio tour visits some of these smaller scale studios.
Taylor Ouzts' studio
Erika Isbell is in college, so her home is both small and temporary. Still, she's managed to carve out two makeshift work areas. One is outside...
and the other is her kitchen table!
Sarah Pavolko's studio is located in the corner of her apartment's living room. It also serves as her writing station and home office.
Shelly Nelson says: This is my workspace in a corner of the living room. The white desk on the left is my hobby desk. I do only minis so a small desk is fine. The black desk on the right is my computer desk.
Christine Roar's studio is her kitchen table.
She's not alone in that.
Meredith Conrad's studio
A lot of beautiful models...
Nicole Severs' studio
are created in the kitchen.
Karinny Hullathi's studio
Elizabeth Bouras describes her kitchen studio this way: Here is my "studio" such as it is. It consists of a few square feet mainly on top of the dishwasher in my kitchen. My big Mako Shark tank air compressor in the corner, and I've commandeered two back cabinets for paints, supplies and "bodies." The kitchen is much too narrow for a table, but I have a very comfy padded stool I found on Craigslist. The exhaust fan over the stove behind me is great for sucking out fumes.

If you have a whole room to work in you have no idea how lucky you are but us apartment dwellers gotta do what we gotta do. Believe it or not, this is a HUGE upgrade from my last apartment. I sat on the kitchen floor painting for almost twenty five years! My life's dream is to retire in a few years so I can move away from the expensive DC metro area and buy a house with an extra room or a basement or a garage!
All of these small studio areas are functional, but Stephanie Blaylock's is also pretty. She writes: I love vintage and color so I have an old pine table that we bought the first year we were married, a vintage suitcase holds extra paints and my sealers. Thrift store mugs hold my brushes and an old ArtBin case from the 80's holds my pastels. Also an old glass cabinet holds projects and classic customs. Let the painting begin!
Jennifer Thorp's studio is the smallest of all. She writes: My current studio space is my lap. Eventually I will find a place that works for me but this is it for now. Plus side, the recliner is comfy.

That's it for the tiny spaces. Dream studios are next!

1 comment:

  1. It's fascinating to me to see these tiny spaces! I've been living in a travel trailer for two years, so my studio space has been rather limited as well! I've made tack, painted Traditionals, other art, and crafted elaborate costumes all from the comfort of my living room/bedroom/dining room table/bed/sofa. I can't wait to move into my tiny house and have an actual table to work from!

    ReplyDelete