Monday, March 20, 2017

Just keep painting

I am really pleased with my NaMoPaiMo horse. 
She turned out almost exactly how I'd envisioned...
and I am convinced that she is the best example of my finishwork so far.
My only real disappointment is that I achieved these results with pastels instead of oils. 
I really, really, really want to paint a horse in oils.
So I decided to try again. My BHR draft customized to a Fjord was primed and ready to go so he became next victim. Here's the acrylic basecoat...
and one,
two,
three coats of oils! 
I like the body color, but the legs are giving me fits. Fortunately, there's no deadline for this one. I can keep picking at him as long as I want. It may take me months, but I'm determined to just keep painting. I know if I try hard enough, I will eventually reach my goal!

11 comments:

  1. The legs gave me fits on my NaMoPaiMo horse too - I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably end up using a lot of pastels on the legs. At this point in my painting career, I have a better understanding of how to achieve certain effects with pastels than oils. It will probably be a while before I'm able to do everything I want with oils only.

      Delete
  2. Legs can be really annoying! Especially those gradual colored legs! The body color really glows, though, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks wonderful!! & don't sweat not having a 100% oil horse; I hardly ever (more like never ever) have a finished piece that is completely oils. It's the result you want, not necessarily how you get there. I am pleased to have learned how to add details with pastels during NaMoPaiMo, & have already been utilizing my knowledge! I think you downplay your talent too much, your horses have turned out to be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest problem with pastels for me, is I really dislike spraying. It gives me a headache and a sore throat. I can push oils around all day without ill effect. I think I am far more likely to keep on painting if I can do most of the work in oils.

      Delete
    2. Ditto. The less spraying (within reason of course) the better IMO! I wouldn't want to do a horse entirely in pastel, but I can certainly do some fun things with it as an added technique. Oils are my thing though! ;)

      Delete
  4. Whoa you picked a hard color and did a FAB job! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, buy a gas mask and where it when you spray - annoying, yes! But, if you're getting headaches, then you're breathing the stuff, which is really not good for you. A worthwhile investment, as you'll use it when priming, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wear it when you spray (it's too early to be posting, ha ha)

      Delete