Saturday, January 14, 2017

The joy of blogging

A couple months ago, I invited readers to ask me (almost) anything. Kathryn responded with a question about blogging. It was a lot like Teresa's favorite model question, and it received the same sort of vague and unsatisfying answer. Sorry!
In truth, I have a lot of favorite parts of blogging. I like the act of writing itself and enjoy telling stories through words and pictures. I get a lot of satisfaction from the free exchange of information, not just from myself to others, but also from others to me via comments and guest blogger posts. I love that I have met so many friends through my blog, and I grateful to have a record of so many of the big and small moments of my life. 

Beyond all that, I've found that blogging makes tack making easier.

Earlier this this month, I made a pair of dressage saddles. They went together smoothly, but I hit a snag when it was time to make the girths. My pattern was missing some essential pieces, and I couldn't remember exactly how everything fit together. Fortunately, I had a vague memory of writing a post about just this topic. I typed "dressage girth" into the search box on the top left side of the screen, and up popped this post from 2010.
Just like that, I had everything I needed to fill in the blanks.
Hurray! 
Similarly, when I decided to make Cobra collars for my Etsy shop, I did all my research right here on the Braymere blog. I found high quality images of full scale collars on real horses...
Photo by Kellye Bussey
as well good pictures of my own past efforts.

From there, it was a hop, skip and a jump...
to completing multiple collars. Hurray again!
Perhaps a more organized tack maker wouldn't need a blog to remind her how things are made, but for me, it's my first and often best resource. Blogging is an essential part of my creative process. I can't imagine Braymere Custom Saddlery without the Braymere Blog.

5 comments:

  1. That's super cool. Your blog is a great reference for the rest of us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. windwalker175@att.netJanuary 14, 2017 at 9:06 PM

    I love using your blog as a reference guide especially when I need to see what a piece of real tack looks like. The tack shops near me only stock english saddles so I have to rely on online photos to see how other types are put together.

    Plus, your blog is just so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha nice. I use mine similarly for all those times I forget how to ride. Then I look back at a lesson post and think, "oh yea, I'm supposed to use more leg or something" lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. And neither can I imagine it without. Congratulations for holding what has to be the National Grand Champion model horse blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a neat post! I love using your blog for research as well. It is the first place I go.

    I can relate as I made my blog to record my adventures when I spent a semester abroad in Ireland. I'm so glad I did it, because now I can go back and relive everything for years to come.

    ReplyDelete