Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cobra mares

Thanks to everyone who participated in yesterday's guessing game.  The hardware in question was used to build a set of Cobra collars.
A "cobra" or "copra" is a group of Andalusian mares shown by a single handler.
One mare also wears a Spanish type halter often with a seretta noseband.
The mares are linked together with belled, leather collars.
Most cobras consist of three to five mares, although larger copras are not unheard of. 
 Breeders use the cobra class to display their ability to breed a very consistent type of horse. 
The mares (and foals if present) are groomed in the traditional Spanish style.  That is, their manes and forelocks are roached off.
The mares' tails are shaved at the top and banged at the bottom.
Foal tails are completely shaved.
Kellye Bussey took these pictures at the 2009 International Andalusian and Lusitano Horse Association National Show in Fort Worth, Texas and has kindly granted me permission to post them here.  Thanks Kellye!

9 comments:

  1. I should have known what you were going to do. I bet this is for Kellye too...lol Can't wait to see her set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog! I really think the name is cobra - I can't find any othe spelling except when Brigitte used it and wonder if it was just a typo or translation issue.
    I just found a short video on Youtube of the cobra that are photographed here and you can hear the announcer talking about it. It's quite lovely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUnxaLC6PoE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you can make! ;)
    ~MunciEquestrian~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think I'm going to go edit the post and call it "Cobra mares" rather than "Copra mares." I've seen it both ways, but I think Cobra is probably more common.

    The tack is finished. I had planned to include pictures with this post, but I was having camera issues. I really need to get my camera fixed. The loaner is ok, but it's very limited.

    Also, I'm about to have something exciting to take pictures of. More on that tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That foal is super nifty, with that pose and the trim and conformation he looks like some sort of stylized antique portrait. Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat photos! Makes me wish I could afford an Eberl set. Or that Breyer would hire her to sculpt a mare and foal for Alborozo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Allie! That foal looks like he trotted right out of a Baroque painting ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The foal pic would make a great painting. I agree, he almost looks abstract! I just can't get enough of this blog. Thanks for bringing so much equine info!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something ridiculously cute about this post - I don't know what it is. Just look at the faces on those mares, and then the very last pic is a foal...

    ReplyDelete