Friday, January 20, 2017

Oily

Years ago, in the mostly undocumented, pre-blog era, I decided I was going to start painting models with oils.
In a fit of enthusiasm, I went to a hobby store and bought a few tubes of horse colored paint. I also bought some books, but I'm not sure that I actually read them.
Not surprisingly, things did not go well. I had no idea what I was doing and used way too much paint and no driers at all. My horse was wet for more than six months. Eventually, I wiped her off and finished her in pastels. 
In a fit of frustration, I gave the paints away. That was that until 2011, when Jennifer Scott graciously allowed me to watch her work.
I learned a lot that day and immediately started making plans to revisit the whole oil painting thing. But... days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months and months turned into years and somehow it was 2017, and I still hadn't done one thing to advance my oil painting career.

"This is ridiculous," I told myself. "It's time to put up or shut up."

And thus, NaMoPaiMo was born.
In the last couple weeks, I've dusted off and actually read those books.
I've bought a whole new set of oil paints, this time with driers.
I've also selected and mostly prepped a victim.
I have a long and mostly bad history with finishwork in general and oils in particular. Still, I am cautiously optimistic that this is actually going to happen. Can it be February already? I am eager to see how things turn out!

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see! I found an old set of oils that my mum had when she was at uni back in the 70s and they're all still in lovely useable condition! I tried them out a few months ago (unfortunately sans driers) and really enjoyed working with them but they stayed wet for months and months so I think I'll definitely be investing in some driers this time round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I've learned from the NaMoPaiMo FB page is that oils have a usable life the spans decades. I had no idea, but that made it a LOT easier for me to drop a substantial chunk of change on paint. The oils will last as long as I do. Eventually I'll figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok! Question time! I work in acrylics, and I've always had such trouble blending brushstrokes. How do you paint a lovely smooth horse without paint brush marks everywhere? I ended up buying an airbrush, but it's a cheap thing and I'm not sure how useful it's going to be for more delicate work. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the link to the post about Jennifer Scott. You will find a very basic oil painting tutorial which adress this question.

      :D

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see how Aggie turns out! :)
    I would still like to be in on NaMoPaiMo, but without face book I am fenced out of the inner circle. I will at the very least work on something individually (a CM Rastus AR to be exact) for NaMoPiaMo. And in oils too. ;)
    May I snag your NaMoPiaMo logo to use on my blog? ...Assuming I am ambitious enough to do computer work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that is a problem, but honestly, I don't see a way around it. Facebook is such a perfect medium for sharing pictures and information. It's immediate and easy and so many people are already using it. I feel bad that non-users are left out, but I don't have a good alternative.

      That said, I will continue to share most of the best FB content here. Today's post about creating an oil painting starter kit is a perfect example.

      Also, blog readers are encouraged to share pictures, personal experiences and advice with me through comments or email. I am really hoping for a lot of fun NaMoPaiMo guest posts!

      And yes, please feel free to use the NaMoPaiMo logo on your blog. It was created by Margaret Balch.

      :D

      Delete
    2. Fair enough. :)I will look forward to reading 'the best of face book' on your blog!
      Thank you for allowing the use of the NaMoPaiMo logo! I will definitely credit Margaret Balch for her lovey design.
      Thank you for the fun challenge! & good luck on Aggie & any other of your 'white herd' who may be doomed in February! Hope your oil painting goes well!
      Cheers!

      Delete
    3. I don't think I know your blog address. Can you provide a link?

      Delete
    4. It is nothing even remotely resembling spectacular but here it is. I even managed to post about NaMoPaiMo already. That's gotta' be some kind of record for me to be honest!
      http://carissakirksey.weebly.com/blog

      Delete
  5. Hi! I have the book by Chris, who did the other one? How can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one is really The Main One. It's Color Formulas & Techniques for the Model Horse Artist by Carol Williams. I don't believe it's available currently, but old copies turn up occasionally on MH$P.

      Delete
    2. Thank You!!! I will start looking for one!
      Thanks
      Jeanne

      Delete