Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Preview of coming attractions

The holiday break is officially over. The kids went back to school this morning, and I spent the day in my studio. The first thing on my 2017 work list is a pair of dressage saddles. Strangely, the most recent base pattern I could find was dated 2008, with a few, updated pieces marked 2010. Has it really been that long since I've made a dressage saddle?
I am a much better tack maker now than I was then, so I decided to use the past six plus years of experience to create an entirely new pattern. The old pieces served as a starting point, but I also referred to reference photos of real saddles as well as my most recent huntseat pattern.
As always, pattern making is a complicated business. I've already had to re-do a few pieces entirely, but I think I'm on the path to righteousness.  Tomorrow, I will know for sure. 
One of these saddles is spoken for. The other will be one of the first offerings in my brand new Etsy shop. I'll tell you more about that in a later post.
Since all work and no play makes Jennifer sad, I also spent a little time working on my next big hobby project. I'm really excited about this one, and I hope my readers will be, too.
So that's the scoop. It's been a little quiet, but things are happening here. Stay tuned for more details!

8 comments:

  1. I am very excited for both of those, especially the painting one. I need motivation to paint. And motivation to make tack, but that's a lot easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NaMoPaiMo sounds like a ton of fun! When I first glanced at it I thought it said NaNoWrimo lol.
    Can't wait to see the finished dressage saddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surprise, since that is the obvious inspiration. I hope it's half as successful!

      Delete
    2. I try to make saddles. Yours look amazing!! How do you do it?

      Delete
  3. Yay for exciting announcements! I'm eager to hear about NaMoPaiMo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much good stuff coming in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU'RE OPENING AN ETSY SHOP? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

    ReplyDelete